Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default Northern Flicker

This Northern Flicker surprised me. They are normally found foraging for ants, grubs, worms, etc. on the ground. In fact, you can see the mud on his beak. At first I thought it was a Red-bellied Woodpecker. I had to do a double-take. It's a VERY overcast, drizzling day and I shot these from inside the house.







__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Well, you pleased him...

Nice captures!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Well, you pleased him...

Nice captures!

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I guess suet will work, too, eh? heheheh The ground is so wet here I don't think he could find many bugs.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Thanks, Dave. I guess suet will work, too, eh? heheheh The ground is so wet here I don't think he could find many bugs.
Many Flickers now over-Winter in New York, and in places where kind human beings don't provide food; since they appear quite healthy, there must be bugs (or at least larvae) around for them to eat. One of the tricks of survival that I've learned, is to bust open an old log, pick out the grubs, and sauté to the desired taste. Was this guy carrying around a jar of garlic powder? I find that a necessity in eating grubs...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Many Flickers now over-Winter in New York, and in places where kind human beings don't provide food; since they appear quite healthy, there must be bugs (or at least larvae) around for them to eat. One of the tricks of survival that I've learned, is to bust open an old log, pick out the grubs, and sauté to the desired taste. Was this guy carrying around a jar of garlic powder? I find that a necessity in eating grubs...

Dave
AHAH!! THAT'S what that li'l jar was!!
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Nice capture Gary!
I like the first one the best.
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice capture Gary!
I like the first one the best.
Thanks! Seems this guy has become a regular at the suet. He was here today and chased of a slew of starlings. I have some shots of the confrontation I'll post later.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:41 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,522
Default

Great photos of a great-looking bird. Especially nice considering how skittish those flickers usually are, and considering the tough lighting. Thanks for sharing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Great photos of a great-looking bird. Especially nice considering how skittish those flickers usually are, and considering the tough lighting. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, mole! This guy didn't see TOO skittish but then, he had some starlings to deal with.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

He really stood his ground against those avian marauders - he is a hero among birds! A neat opportunity you took good advantage of.
__________________
.
.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:43 AM.