Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:33 PM   #1

Default safari lens

Will a 70-300mm telephoto suffice? Also, what do you use for night photos? Going to S. Africa for WC and safari
Dr_Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:06 PM   #2

What camera are you using, and which lens. What type of safari shots are you looking to take, something like big cats in action, you will need a very fast lens. But say something like a pride of big cats at rest or elephants slowly make their way form feeding ground a good general purpose lens will work.

I took these at kruger nation park in SA. A simple point an shoot with a 8x zoom. So if you are looking for not action shots, a general purpose 70-300mm will work just fine.

I was just in Capetown recently. The stadium is almost complete. And it is a great place to visit.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:12 PM   #3

I you want to see how the WC stadium looks in capetown, check out this

Quick 3 day trip to Capetown South Africa
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:37 PM   #4

I have the Canon Xti and IS 70-300mm and Tamron 28-75. Going to Mala Mala revesrve which boardes Krueger with my daughter. I presume I'll bring a bean bag or something for stabilization. The question is should I rent a 400mm. Is it worth it? Going to SA during the WC is pretty expensive
Dr_Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:49 PM   #5

You should be fine with the 300, you really wont need much more on safari if you are looking at getting photo like the one I exampled. From personal experience, it is just more weight to lug. I fine the 300 is allot of reach on the crop body. Also the park rangers will get you close enough to get good shots of the animals without needing a 400mm. Now if you were after bird also on the safari, then a 400mm is well worth bringing.

I know that SA has gotten expensive, just from 2 years ago till my trip in Jan, the price for most things in capetown has gone up allot.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:16 PM   #6

also take a look at this thread, Mtclimber took some safari picture with a nikon 300mm zoom. If this is what you are looking for from your shots. Your 70-300mm IS may be all you need.

superzoom, or not so super zoom with teleconverter?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:25 PM   #7

before i got laid off in December of 2008, i was considering a trip to Kruger NP in SA myself. i signed up for a photo forum based there, and got some great tips. one of our own members, JakeTPegg, lives in SA, and was also able to provide some sound advice. your 300 may well be sufficient, but depending on the time of year, the animals may come in close or not - water holes are much more 'popular' in the dry season, which in SA starts in April, if i remember correctly... anyway, you can probably get decent shots of the larger critters - the Big Five, as they're called - but you might find something just a bit longer useful. i asked several photographers whose work was exceptional what gear they used, and whether they thought my 100-400 would be a good choice, and the consensus was that while a 70-300 was good, the 100-400 is better (for Nikon shooters, that'd be the 80-400VR...).

right now the exchange rate isn't bad - a bit over 7.5 ZAR to the dollar - so accommodations, meals, etc., should be relatively inexpensive. air fare will be the biggest cost.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote