Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default Hairy Woodpecker... Finally!

I saw this guy only once before. It's difficult to tell from a Downy but he IS slightly larger and more oval-shaped. The tip-off? What looks like hair around
his nostrils to keep out the wood chips! Honest! That's what I JUST found out.



__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

Hi gjtoth, say I really think that this woodpecker really sharp... unbelievable, the feathers... they can't be better... I would have liked to see the woodpecker going at the tree, rather than this green feeder... but that is my opinion.

Thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I saw this guy only once before. It's difficult to tell from a Downy but he IS slightly larger and more oval-shaped. The tip-off? What looks like hair around
his nostrils to keep out the wood chips! Honest! That's what I JUST found out.
You outdid youself with this first shot! Really, really crisp without being overdone. Superb shot of this bird!!!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Good one Gary!
__________________
GW

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

way to go gary!

nicely captured, and thanks for pointing out the differences!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hi gjtoth, say I really think that this woodpecker really sharp... unbelievable, the feathers... they can't be better... I would have liked to see the woodpecker going at the tree, rather than this green feeder... but that is my opinion.

Thanks.

Ned
Thanks, Ned. I would have preferred him a more natural setting but sometimes we just can't be too choosy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
You outdid youself with this first shot! Really, really crisp without being overdone. Superb shot of this bird!!!

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Good one Gary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
way to go gary!

nicely captured, and thanks for pointing out the differences!
Thanks, guys! I consider myself lucky to capture him at all. He was in, had lunch, and was outta there! Oddly enough, I did a double-take and thought, "Man! That's a good-sized Downy." Then, it hit me. Not Downy... Hairy, and scrambled to turn on the camera. The part about the nostril filters I had JUST read about.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Eetu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland
Posts: 2,212
Default

gjtoth, may I ask what lense did you use... what mm, if you remember, did you use... I just can't get over the detail in the feathers... the detail and colours are beyond good. Your lense and camera served you well. Thanks again for sharing these beautiful pictures.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
gjtoth, may I ask what lense did you use... what mm, if you remember, did you use... I just can't get over the detail in the feathers... the detail and colours are beyond good. Your lense and camera served you well. Thanks again for sharing these beautiful pictures.
Ned, I used the 70-300mm.

Width: 1605 pixels
Height: 2248 pixels
Camera Brand: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera Model: E-620
Date Taken: 2010:02:26 16:03:27
Exposure Time: 1/500 sec.
ISO Speed Rating: 100
Flash Fired: Flash did not fire.
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure Program: Manual
Focal Length: 300.0 mm

And, I inadvertently had the WB set to "Shade".
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Hi Gary,

That 70-300 is really the ticket for you. You are getting some nice shots with it!

Now the bad part. I think that's a Downy too. The Harry is quite alot larger than a Downy, but that's hard to tell from a photo. The other main difference is the bill, which is what it the main reason I think your (excellent) pic is the Downy. The Harry has a much longer bill that tapers off much slower. Other than size and the bill, they are carbon copies of each other.

We have both around here. The Downy's are all around, but the Harry's don't like showing at the feeder when something different is around, like me and a 300mm lens.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Feb 27, 2010 at 6:42 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Hi Gary,

That 70-300 is really the ticket for you. You are getting some nice shots with it!

Now the bad part. I think that's a Downy too. The Harry is quite alot larger than a Downy, but that's hard to tell from a photo. The other main difference is the bill, which is what it the main reason I think your (excellent) pic is the Downy. The Harry has a much longer bill that tapers off much slower. Other than size and the bill, they are carbon copies of each other.

We have both around here. The Downy's are all around, but the Harry's don't like showing at the feeder when something different is around, like me and a 300mm lens.

Greg
Thanks, Greg. My book doesn't mention the bill hence I went mainly size and the nostril hairs - both mentioned as ID factors. Dang. Thought I had one.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.