Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:18 PM   #1

Default just a couple from todays 1,294

Wanted to see how many shots I could get on a fully charged battery. The answer, 1,294 in about one and a half hours. Lots of splashes and lots of 1/2 fish. Got about 85 keepers today.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:28 AM   #2

These are all nice pictures, despite the camera shake and lack of perfect panning. They would be better with better technique

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the input Dave. I was shooting over a chain link fence with the camera supported by one of the post. No room to set up my tripod and my monopod is just a little to short to shoot over the fence. What would you suggest to help with camera shake. When shooting these I had to do a lot of anticipating when the fish would jump. Pretty hard to move as the fish were jumping so I just held on some of the more productive areas and anticipated the fishes arrival. I then used cropping to try to better center the "catch". Any suggestions on improving that technique?
Thanks,
Mike
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKPUDGIES View Post
Thanks for the input Dave. I was shooting over a chain link fence with the camera supported by one of the post. No room to set up my tripod and my monopod is just a little to short to shoot over the fence. What would you suggest to help with camera shake. When shooting these I had to do a lot of anticipating when the fish would jump. Pretty hard to move as the fish were jumping so I just held on some of the more productive areas and anticipated the fishes arrival. I then used cropping to try to better center the "catch". Any suggestions on improving that technique?
Thanks,
Mike
I can't see EXIF data in these shot. One way of negating camera shake would be a higher speed - At least 1/500.

Did your support feel solid?

Note my remark on panning. How heavy was this lens? I ask because apparently physcial limitations prevented panning - Again, only speed can overcome that. Heck, up the ISO and see what you get.

When I purchased my present walking around lens, it was at first to heavy to shoot handheld. After a month of steady shooting, not a problem.

Dave
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:15 PM   #5

Dave,
The shot was at f 4.5, 1/1250, ISO-100, 80 mm.
If I'm understanding your advice I should move the ISO up? As well as work on keeping the camera steady?
Thanks,
Mike
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Dave,
The shot was at f 4.5, 1/1250, ISO-100, 80 mm.
If I'm understanding your advice I should move the ISO up? As well as work on keeping the camera steady?
Thanks,
Mike
1/1250 is more than enough! There's something else going on here that you and I are missing.

Looking at the images again, hard to tell if you're in focus. Certainly the bottom water is in focus, hard to tell about the rest. Perhaps it's a focus problem? Would you try an experiment and use manual focus on a few shots in that location?

I've also shot fish, but not shots of them moving, rather jumping.

Edited in:

Err, just how close a crop are these images?

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:00 PM   #7

Dave, I'll attach the original pic of the first fish before I cropped it. Both pictures were shrunk to fit the forum requirements.
Thanks,
Mike
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:28 AM   #8

I should have asked this question first...

The picture is croped beyond the ability of the lens to resolve detail. It's also a bit to light. Otherwise, it's ok...

I just did a quick darkening, probably shifted the colors - But you get the idea.

Here's one of my fish shots

Dave
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:19 AM   #9

Dave, So my problem was I should have zoomed in a little more or cropped a little less? I'm still learning about this whole digital editing, and it's limits. I like your shot, good timing.
Mike
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Dave, So my problem was I should have zoomed in a little more or cropped a little less? I'm still learning about this whole digital editing, and it's limits. I like your shot, good timing.
Mike
All of our machines, have images which can be blown up, just so much and no further. Many factors figure into this. Quality of the lens, quality of the image. A perfect image, can of course be blown up more than a bad one. But in essence this is the story on this shot. It might suffer from small focus or shaking problems - Doesn't matter, any image blown up to far is going to look perculiar.

My bad for being so stupid as to not ask this question in the first place.

Dave