Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:20 PM   #1

Default Rose-Breasted Grosbeak family

These birds have been feeding daily at my feeder and I think the young birds are their hatch lings. Lots of activity now that the young are feeding themselves.

The new 70-300 Tamron brings them in pretty close. I think I'm going to need to use my tripod if I want to get a real sharp shot. C & C are always welcome.
Mike
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:54 PM   #2

Hi Mike, Yeah, a tripod might do the trick and it might not. I also have this lens, and while it is sharp enough for my tastes at 300mm and f8 or so, I have found the following to be true: Between 70 and 200mm, the lens is sharp, even wide open, all other settings being optimal for a steady shot.

Between 200mm and 300mm you need to stop the lens down to at least f7.1 or f8 to get a sharp shot.

All that being said, I saw you had one shot at iso 800, at 300mm and f5.6, shutter speed 1/60. It would take a mighty steady hand to get that shot.

Have you thought of using the on-board flash? I have and at iso 800 it can help a lot, and doesn't always spook the birds/ squirrells. If it does, they get over it quick enough.

I shoot with a Sony, and can get away with those shutter speeds occasionally because of the in-body stabilization. With Nikon and Canon, it only comes with the lens, and I'm assuming the Tamron you have is not stabilized.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:15 PM   #3

HAWGWILD,
Thanks for the input, I'll try the flash with the other adjustments you suggested. If I keep seed out there I gotta hunch that they'll keep coming back.
Mike