Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Hawk!

This guy was on the hunt for a juvenile woodchuck. He never did get him. He was very ticked... probably venting, as he was VERY vocal. heheheh He stayed around just to make sure the woodchuck was not going to return. I can always tell when these guys around. The feeding station is conspicuously absent of customers.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:14 PM   #2

nice set what distance were these shot?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:33 PM   #3

Thanks. He was about 55-60 feet and captured with my HS-10 & TCON17 attached.
My Gallery

--
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:57 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Gary,

Great pictures. Lucky you. What size is it? (Over here we have a smaller, "Sparrow Hawk" and a larger "Pidgeon Hawk" - The naming after their prey, not the size of course)

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Gary,

Great pictures. Lucky you. What size is it? (Over here we have a smaller, "Sparrow Hawk" and a larger "Pidgeon Hawk" - The naming after their prey, not the size of course)

Torgny
Thanks, T. This guy is about is about 45cm tall with a wingspan roughly 3 times that. I've seen them take out mourning doves but lately their favorite prey seems to be grackles. They seem to have thinned out the population around here as the grackles don't seem to be as prevalent at my feeders and I LIKE that.
My Gallery

--
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:41 PM   #6

Nice capture.

My neighbor has a bunch of feeders in his yard and he attracts lots of doves, occasionally a hawk will sit in the nearby trees and wait. I would love to capture this hunt but I have only been able to see the pile of feathers after they have fed. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKPUDGIES View Post
Nice capture.

My neighbor has a bunch of feeders in his yard and he attracts lots of doves, occasionally a hawk will sit in the nearby trees and wait. I would love to capture this hunt but I have only been able to see the pile of feathers after they have fed. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.
I caught these a while back. I heard a LOUD bang on the window and noticed a flurry of activity outside. This hawk (I think a juvenile Red-shouldered hawk?), had invited a grackle to lunch. I only had time for these shots before he took off with it. The ones of him making his getaway are too blurry. Sorry. Handheld with the E-620.

My Gallery

--
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:50 PM   #8

Neat, can you imagine getting aerial shots of something like that.
Mike
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKPUDGIES View Post
Neat, can you imagine getting aerial shots of something like that.
Mike
If got a shot like that, it would be a miracle... for me. I saw the hit and it was lightning-fast. That grackle never knew what hit it. Of course, this occurred about 18-20 feet away when I was unprepared. I would imagine if I spent the day out in the field and kept track of them on the hunt and knew what they were about to nail, I *MIGHT* have a chance at it. This grackle happened to be perched on a branch of my feeding station. He got about a half a flap in panic before the hawk took him out in a burst of black feathers and a flash.
My Gallery

--
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
If got a shot like that, it would be a miracle... for me. I saw the hit and it was lightning-fast. That grackle never knew what hit it. Of course, this occurred about 18-20 feet away when I was unprepared. I would imagine if I spent the day out in the field and kept track of them on the hunt and knew what they were about to nail, I *MIGHT* have a chance at it. This grackle happened to be perched on a branch of my feeding station. He got about a half a flap in panic before the hawk took him out in a burst of black feathers and a flash.
Like you say, getting the money shot would be almost a miracle. I was shooting a Bushtit last fall when something slammed into it, or the branch it was on anyway. Even then I never got a shot of anything, not even whatever it was that attacked it. I think it missed as there was no puff of feathers. I also had the pleasure this spring of shooting two Bald eagles hunting what i think was a Bufflehead. Sadly it was in the rain so almost none of the pics turned out since i couldn't get the shutter speed fast enough to capture action. Never got a money shot on that either, eventually they gave up since the surprise was long gone and the little guy just kept diving as soon as he saw one of them.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote