Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:53 PM   #1

Default Sandhill Cranes- 3 shots

These two Sandhill Cranes where as close as they get around here. They were a good 150-200 yards/meters away. They flew a little closer as the passed by the viewing stand. But, not much. Taken with my Nikon D300 and Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR with the 1.4 telec. attached. Great combo in good light like today. With the added 1.5 crop factor for the D300 that gave me a 760mm telephoto at f/5.6.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:54 PM   #2

#2 They were flying into the rice fields to clean up after the harvest. Smart birds.

Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:55 PM   #3

wedf

Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
These two Sandhill Cranes where as close as they get around here. They were a good 150-200 yards/meters away. They flew a little closer as the passed by the viewing stand. But, not much. Taken with my Nikon D300 and Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR with the 1.4 telec. attached. Great combo in good light like today. With the added 1.5 crop factor for the D300 that gave me a 760mm telephoto at f/5.6.
Really nice shots, especially of the pair flying. The contrast between the upswing of the wings of one vs the wing downbeat of the other add to the visual appeal. The color and composition come together well. Sandhill cranes make for very interesting subjects.

So when you say that is "as close as they get around here," do they tend to avoid people in that part of California?? Here in Florida, they are very plentiful, and do not shy away from people. It is common to see them walking across your lawn over here. They will look at you, but if you move slowly, they will often just stay in place, allowing for some great close up photo opportunities. I posted a few close up photos back in August on this forum, and you can see that I was able to get much closer to them that what you have to deal with.
Sandhill Cranes
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Really nice shots, especially of the pair flying. The contrast between the upswing of the wings of one vs the wing downbeat of the other add to the visual appeal. The color and composition come together well. Sandhill cranes make for very interesting subjects.

So when you say that is "as close as they get around here," do they tend to avoid people in that part of California?? Here in Florida, they are very plentiful, and do not shy away from people. It is common to see them walking across your lawn over here. They will look at you, but if you move slowly, they will often just stay in place, allowing for some great close up photo opportunities. I posted a few close up photos back in August on this forum, and you can see that I was able to get much closer to them that what you have to deal with.
Sandhill Cranes

I remember, with great envy, your close up shots. These birds stay out in the rice fields and other open areas. They do not come into town and they avoid people like the plauge. I have never been able to get closer than about 70-80yards at best. No matter how slowly I make my way towards them once they see me they start heading the other way and eventually will take flight and move several hundred yeads or more farther away.
Count yourself lucky that you have the opportunity to get those amazing close-ups because unless I were to hide in a blind I doubt I could ever get that close. My best bet is to catch a good close up as the fly overhead or near the viewing platform. I was hiding under neath the platform when I took these flight shots.

Cheers, Steve
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
I............................ I have never been able to get closer than about 70-80yards at best. No matter how slowly I make my way towards them once they see me they start heading the other way and eventually will take flight and move several hundred yeads or more farther away.
Count yourself lucky that you have the opportunity to get those amazing close-ups because unless I were to hide in a blind I doubt I could ever get that close. My best bet is to catch a good close up as the fly overhead or near the viewing platform. I was hiding under neath the platform when I took these flight shots.

Cheers, Steve
Very interesting that they stay away from people out there. Then I guess you don't want to hear that we have several sandhill crane families in my subdivision that each summer raise their chicks, and walk around the golf course teaching them to forage for food.

They are fun to watch, and it is amazing how fast the little ones grow. The young ones do not have the red crown until they get close to maturity. I guess I shouldn't tell you that I have some shots where I actually used a 28mm wide angle to get, and some shots that I took with my wife's little point and shoot Olympus Stylus. They are always fun birds to photograph.

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:39 PM   #7

SMAC, I really like your #2 shot. thanks
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Very interesting that they stay away from people out there. Then I guess you don't want to hear that we have several sandhill crane families in my subdivision that each summer raise their chicks, and walk around the golf course teaching them to forage for food.

They are fun to watch, and it is amazing how fast the little ones grow. The young ones do not have the red crown until they get close to maturity. I guess I shouldn't tell you that I have some shots where I actually used a 28mm wide angle to get, and some shots that I took with my wife's little point and shoot Olympus Stylus. They are always fun birds to photograph.

Steve R.
Thanks for the info. Actually, I am very happy that you have those wonderful opportunities. I would only ask that you share more photos of the cranes when you get them. I can live vicariously through your lens. Yup, I can live with that quite nicely thanks.

Steve M.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
SMAC, I really like your #2 shot. thanks
Frank

Thanks Frank, I appreciate your compliment. Steve
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:37 PM   #10

Nice clear shots with good detail
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote