Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:50 AM   #1

Default Variety of ducks - working on quality

Hello wildlife friends

As it's summer here in Adelaide, South Australia - we receive a nice set of public holidays to make the most of Christmas. Spent the 25th and 26th December (Christmas & Boxing days) with friends... which was enjoyable.

Just before Christmas however, I went to 2 wetlands areas, each being just a few minutes near my home - and took some photos of ducks one evening. I have often been walking in these areas before. Taking photos of these birds made me realise the variety of ducks - even in just each 'lake' / home for the ducks! The size, shape, colouring is quite different between many of these birds.

I have recently purchased a new lens (the Canon 70-300mm L IS USM) - which supercedes my former telezoom. I'm very happy with the lens, everything about it works well for me - I even got a very good pre-Christmas deal with 67mm CPL (only the price still wasn't free!)

So I'm posting some of my favourite "full body" shots of the ducks (and one other small bird which perched nearby) here. As I'm very keen to receive your comments, feedback and any suggestions for improvements, please do stop by and provide your thoughts. Many thanks!

If you are interested in seeing some closer photo samples of the ducks, to obtain an idea of the lens' sharpness and contrast, you can view this link in the Canon lens section: Some bird samples at 300mm/f5.6 from my Canon 70-300mm L

#1 - imho, this duck has such a 'cute' face

#2 - I really like this duck's markings

#3 - maybe this duck is called "Donald" - as it looks most like the cartoon character

#4 - more interesting feather markings

#5 - this little fellow came to perch on the railing of the walk way that goes out over the water. Good opportunity to take a photo of it too!

#6 - I appreciate the contrast of the blue reflections in the water and this duck's colouring

#7 - duck preening

#8 - finished preening... and standing tall, proud and clean!

All the best!! I'm looking forward to your comments.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:09 PM   #2

A very nice series Paul. They all seem to be nice a sharp and well exposed. I should think that you are very happy with the new lens. Looking forward to seeing more.

Happy New Year, Steve
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3

Very nice, I like #6 a lot.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:52 AM   #4

Hi Steve

Many thanks for your kind comments (much appreciated as you're a great wildlife photog). I'm certainly a happy chappy with this latest lens.

I'll aim to take more photos (not just ducks, not offence meant, Donald and Daffy) - and share in due course.

Cheers

Paul
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:53 AM   #5

Hello Saly

I'm glad that you also like photo #6. Often the balance of colours is just as important as the composition.

I just love the water in this, and how the duck sitting on the water looks so serene (must be the 'blue calming effect') Ha ha!

Regards

Paul
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:32 AM   #6
NHL

You're lucky to live in a country with such a great variety
Great shots !!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:52 AM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Paul,

I'm extra fond of the first picture, exposure, cropping - all work together. The result is a wonderful low key full body portrait. Personally I like them that way. Too much colour makes me, ummm - seasick. Brilliant photo

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Dec 30, 2010 at 4:56 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
You're lucky to live in a country with such a great variety
Great shots !!!
Hi NHL

Many thanks for your words... I truly am grateful for living in Australia. I'm conscious of the truth of the saying though, that: 'familiarity breeds content'. I don't think I ever appreciated Australia's diverse wildlife as much as when I lived away in Europe for over a decade.

Glad you like the shots. Though these are a bit 'one sided' (nearly all just 'ducks'). I hope to got out with my new toy (Canon 70-300mm L) more and capture a wider variety of birds and share here.

Paul
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Paul,

I'm extra fond of the first picture, exposure, cropping - all work together. The result is a wonderful low key full body portrait. Personally I like them that way. Too much colour makes me, ummm - seasick. Brilliant photo

Torgny
Hello Torgny

I certainly do understand what you mean, natural feeling (often meaning the subtle colours) of photos is important to me, and this is also why I also like the first photo particularly.

Your kind words and thoughtfulness in review is appreciated.

Have a good New Year's!

Paul
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:17 PM   #10

The 1st one is a beautiful portrait!
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote