Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:56 PM   #1

Default Bufflehead colors

Male Buffleheads usually appear completely black and white. These photographs, taken with the Sony alpha 55 and Minolta 500mm AF lens, show another aspect of the plumage - iridescent colors that reflect from the head when the light is right. Difficult to see in the field with the naked eye, the a55's sensor recorded these perfectly. Some minor adjustments in postprocessing, but no color manipulation whatsoever.

Name:  DSC00137r2.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  DSC00139r2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  DSC00143r2.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  DSC00144r2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  65.0 KB

Last edited by penolta; Jan 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:18 PM   #2

Very nice, I had a similar opportunity a while back and was equally surprised at the colors brought about by the sun reflecting off the feathers at the right angel. Nature's wonders never cease to amaze.

Steve
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:11 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Male Buffleheads usually appear completely black and white. These photographs, taken with the Sony alpha 55 and Minolta 500mm AF lens, show another aspect of the plumage - iridescent colors that reflect from the head when the light is right. Difficult to see in the field with the naked eye, the a55's sensor recorded these perfectly. Some minor adjustments in postprocessing, but no color manipulation whatsoever.

Attachment 170197

Attachment 170198

Attachment 170199

Attachment 170200

Penolta,

Always wonder how, why these colours developed through the ages. Of course I'm familiar with the basics of Darwinism (impresssing the females) but ..... Any specifics?

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:15 PM   #4

Thanks, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Penolta,

Always wonder how, why these colours developed through the ages. Of course I'm familiar with the basics of Darwinism (impresssing the females) but ..... Any specifics?

//T
One always assumes when there is sexual dimorphism in plumages that it is intended to attract the opposite sex. I have never seen active courtship in Buffleheads (they don't breed around here), so I don't know how they might use the colors, which are not mentioned in the field guides (males are described only as "glossy black", so I assume the colors are not often seen).

Last edited by penolta; Jan 27, 2011 at 9:18 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:41 PM   #5

I've seen the blue-green on there heads several times, but never the red - purples very nice capture!

flickr
kev83202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:55 PM   #6

nicely done, Penolta! i've seen - and photographed - this iridescence numerous times. buffleheads are quite common here in the winter, and with the low angle of sunlight we get this time of year, it's easy enough to capture the colors. the hard part is getting close enough to them to see it, since from any distance more than about 30 yards, they appear just black and white.

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:41 PM   #7

Thanks Kevin and Rocky for stopping by and commenting.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:51 PM   #8

Great photos Penolta. I've never seen that iridescence before and you captured it beautifully.

All our migratory birds left northern New England several months ago, and it'll be about 2 more months before the first spring arrivals show up. It's 10 below zero (Fahrenheit) where I am, and the snowstorm that is hammering the midwest right now is supposed to hit us tomorrow. I'm feeling a strong urge to head to a warm climate for about a week, and photograph some waterfowl. Maybe I should look into airfare to Florida!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Great photos Penolta. I've never seen that iridescence before and you captured it beautifully.

Maybe I should look into airfare to Florida!
I'm in California (both places are great for birds in winter), but the way things have been going this winter, I doubt you could get a flight to either place!

Thanks for the kind words.