Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:16 PM   #1

Default Should I Blast Canon T2i

Small bird photos are not sharp enough so i returned the Canon T1i (using a Canon 70-300mm IS lens).
Good photog friend suggested that I purchase a Canon T2i with the bigger sensor (18 mp). Will this help?

Last edited by redstart; Jan 31, 2011 at 4:33 PM. Reason: title change
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:05 PM   #2

Not necessarily. Are you using a tripod? Are you using a high enough shutter speed? A good rule of thumb is to use a shutter speed that is at least 2x faster then the focal length of the lens you are shooting. For a 300mm you should be using 1/600sec, minimum. It's been my experience that good technique and a stable platform ( tripod, beanbag) are more important than sensor size or camera body. I hope you have better luck in the future.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
Small bird photos are not sharp enough so i returned the Canon T1i (using a Canon 70-300mm IS lens).
Good photog friend suggested that I purchase a Canon T2i with the bigger sensor (18 mp). Will this help?
Potentially you were trying to shoot them too far away. Having extra pixels won't help, rather the extra pixels will put a higher demand on the lens so photos might look a little softer.

The T1i/70-300mm IS combo should produce good results.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:00 PM   #4

Let me put this in perspective - if you're shooting small birds like sparrows/finches etc with a 300mm lens you want to be no further than 15 feet away from them - preferably closer to 10 feet.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:07 PM   #5

Default Got it, Wrong! A 300mm lens for small birds!

My wife gets reasonably sharp pix of small birds with her P&S Panasonic DMC-FZ28. The 18X reaches far enough out to get good shots particularly if the subjects are stationary. However tracking BIF is hard with that camera. The Canon 100-400mm IS lens used by the bird photogs here in S. Texas is too heavy for her to carry around all day Would she get anywhere exploring the micro 4/3s technology?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
My wife gets reasonably sharp pix of small birds with her P&S Panasonic DMC-FZ28. The 18X reaches far enough out to get good shots particularly if the subjects are stationary. However tracking BIF is hard with that camera. The Canon 100-400mm IS lens used by the bird photogs here in S. Texas is too heavy for her to carry around all day Would she get anywhere exploring the micro 4/3s technology?
Hi I own an E-PL1 micro four thirds camera. While it is a wonderful little camera that produces exceptional images, it's intended design goal did not include shooting fast moving subjects such as birds in flight. You can shoot birds that are sitting or perched stationary. But, if your primary concern is shooting birds in flight, you really need to go with a Nikon or Canon DSLR. The AF system is just so much superior, IMHO.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:25 PM   #7

Default Small birds with 4/3 technology?

Zig, The Titmouse shot in your gallery was pretty sharp. Was that taken with your 4/3 camera?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Zig, The Titmouse shot in your gallery was pretty sharp. Was that taken with your 4/3 camera?
Yes, all of the bird images have been taken using either an E-510 or more recently the E-30 Olympus dslr + the Olympus 50-200mm f2.8 ED lens.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote