Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:36 PM   #1
djb

Default turkeys anyone?

Here's a few pics i got out in the rain the other day of some wild tom turkeys. they were protecting a hen and had no inhibitions to come up to me to attack me. out of 200+ pics these were the best shooting at 1/80 sec wide open at iso400. these birds bob and weave continually and make it difficult to get a clear head shot at 1/80 sec.. the goose pic was one of a few before the goose stared hissing at me and walking away. one turkey attacked and hit me with a wing and almost got my hand. then he jumped at me and, i hate to say this, i had to kick him. the more aggressive i got towards him the more he came at me. notice the blue heads. they turn blue as an aggressive posture. comments welcome. if the pics are too big i can downsize them to 640x480.

dennis

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:44 PM   #2

Great photos. I really like the first one of all the gobblers with their beards. Some people think these birds are so beautful. In my opinion they are so homely.

How close to them were you in the close up shots?
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:34 PM   #3
djb

the closeups were probably around 5 to 10 feet. any closer i couldn't keep them in focus or they moved too much. if i could bob and weave like they do i could be a champion boxer at 53 yrs old. one was so close he attacked me twice. a friend said i should have grabbed him by the neck and taken him home for dinner. i think i would have lost that battle. they are aggressive and nasty when protecting a hen. i might go back there tomorrow with a sunny day and see if they are still hanging around. if so i might try some more shots at higher shutter speeds.

dennis
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:35 PM   #4
djb

oh yeah, i should have titled this the -ly brothers!!! ugly, homely and more ugly!!!

dennis
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:55 PM   #5

Thank god there is a goose pic at the end to rest our eyes from the turkey's legendary ugliness.
Sébastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 2:22 AM   #6

And think about it,
Ben Franklin wanted it to be the national bird!
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:36 AM   #7

djb,
These turkeys seem like they are very tame. Usually wild turkeys are very difficult to approach. You normally couldn't get closer than 100 yards or so. Were I live you would not get these shots of wild turkeys unless you were in a blind for many hours.
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 3:33 PM   #8
djb

Ted, i thought they may be a bit tame. there were 3 toms and a hen in a front yard with a wooded area to one side of the yard. I
have been as close as 30 yards to a flock of wild turkeys and any closer would really spook them. i think these toms would have been a bit more timid if the hen weren't there. i went back to see if they were still around to get some better shots with the sun being nice and bright. they were nowhere to be found. in any case, they were ugly and their temperment was a bit ugly too.

dennis
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:48 PM   #9

That first shot is my favorite. Its composition and color are great.

We have a lot of turkey around here and, often, there are great herds of them traipsing across the yard from the field on one side to the woods on the other. Sometimes they take off at the merest hiccup, and sometimes they arrogantly ignore me. Maybe turkeys have moods. I know I'd be pretty moody if I looked like that.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:44 PM   #10

You have been brave and have been rewarded with some nice shots!
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote