Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:11 AM   #1

Default Few bird shots I taken lately ;)

A Hairy Woodpecker :

A white Breast Nutatch :

Common RedPole :

Black Cap Chikedee :

And another one :

A Goldfinch :

A BlueJay :

Few House Sparrows :

I use a DRebel with a EF 100-300 4.5/5.6 USM lens

Cheers !
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:04 AM   #2

Feather perfect. Very well done !

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:46 AM   #3

wow nice pics! i have some goldfinches that come by my house too! the males are very bright!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:34 PM   #4

I'm jealous! I use similar equipment and have struggled to get good shots of small birds like this. Questions: How far away were you? What camera setting (P, Tv, Av, ?) do you like for these types of shots? What shutter speed? Thanks and nice work.
ACSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 4:41 PM   #5

Great pics! Really like the Blue Jay...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:31 PM   #6

Several of those photos couldn't have been done any better by National Geographic photographers. The redpole, the chickadee spreading its wings, and the bluejay are particularly special.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:53 PM   #7

Thanks Everyone !

Ok I'll try to answer all in this same post

photosbyvito : I'm waiting in spring to see their real nice bright colors, right now they are in winter coat, thanks for the good words

ACSmith, I'm using 95% of the time M mode, shoot in RAW, post process with C1 Rebel, then PS Elements. I try to use 200 or 400 ISO, and when light is that bad, then 800, but at 800 I need to do a lot of post processing. I will do exposure compensation if there's presence of snow, most of the time its between +1 1/3 to +1 2/3 EC with the camera, in M mode I simply reduce shutter speed and look at my metering, will be between these figure. Always confirm with the histogram. Shutter speed varies between 250 to 1000, again depending if I have enought lights.

I was very close to the goldfinch and common redpole, about 4-5 feet from them. The Black Cap Chikedee are not shy birds, if you don't make suddon move, they will go to bird feeders 3 feet from you, those 2 shots were taken at about 10 feet. The Blue Jay was about 15 feet. The Woodpecker was about 10 feet, again that bird is not affraid of human presence, and are very enjoyable little creature. I laugh at them all the time, just the way they act, make my day every time. The Nuthatch are more shy, I have to stand still for a long time then they might go in a tree nearby, then I take shots. And at last the house sparrows were taken at about 15 feet.

Thanks Mr_Saginaw. I really saw how he looked like when I was looking at it in front of the pc.. First thing I thought, geez this one looks a grand daddy, LOL !

Thank you bccoultry, appreciate your kind words

Cheers everyone
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote