Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:53 PM   #1

Default BIF: Little Wattlebird (Anthochaera chrysoptera)

Hi friends

It's been quite a long time (toooooo long, sorry ) since I shared some photos on these forums. Many things (also good things! ) have distracted me from being online as much. I have had a quick look at Steve's forums now and again, and contributed the occasional post / comment to others' photos. Missed you all.

So, here are some BIF photos that I took on the weekend, that I was quite happy with - and thought some were suitable to share with you on the Wildlife Photos forum.

I was in Adelaide, South Australia - near where a river meets the ocean (West Beach). There were a number of 'Little Wattlebirds' (Anthochaera chrysoptera) flying around, catching insects mid-flight. They are truly magnificent to watch - doing their aerial acrobatics snatching insects from the air!

So here are a few photos of them in action. The light was challenging (it was around 12:30 - 14:00 - ie early afternoon) - when I was walking and taking photos, thus the sun was almost directly overhead, with hard bright light.

Still... I'm fairly happy with some of the results. Any feedback you have for me, is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards to you all.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:55 PM   #2

Default #2

Here is another photo of the same bird species. I really like the contour of the wings / feathers that this 'side profile' displays.
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:57 PM   #3

Default #3

This photo shows a bird, swooping after just attempting a feed on insects. Its tail and tail feathers are pushed out, so that in flight it is 'banking hard' - and avoiding making contact with the nearby tree.
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:59 PM   #4

Default #4

And final photo for this series (at least, for now) - this bird in an upward flight - heading towards some buzzing insects overhead.

The strong sunlight shining through the feathers / wings, adds a strong touch to this photo, imho. This photo was taken at 1/2500 second shutter speed. Even at this fast speed, there is some blur detectable at the ends of the wing feathers, due to the fast flapping movement they do in flight.

I have not shot BIF very often, and while reasonably happy with these photos, I know that I can improve with more practice - and learn more about the technique.

Looking forward to your comments / thoughts / suggestions / feedback on these photos. Regards...

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:24 PM   #5

Wow, nice job Paul. You nailed the focus on all of them. I especially like numbers 1 and 4. I really like the perspective and the vivid blue sky. Number 1 looks like it's right out of a stereoscope.

Well done. Glad your back.

Steve
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6

Wow these are fantastic Paul!! I can't even imagine how you did that!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:53 AM   #7

Agree with Saly, really great shots.

jj
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #8

Very impressive series of images. As has already been mentioned, I've no idea how you got the angle but they are really something to see.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #9

That is an extraordinary group of shots. What camera did the job? The AF really works extremely well.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
1.4X Promaster Spectrum Teleconverter
506mm Pentax PF80-ED spotting Scope(digiscoper)
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac View Post
Wow, nice job Paul. You nailed the focus on all of them. I especially like numbers 1 and 4. I really like the perspective and the vivid blue sky. Number 1 looks like it's right out of a stereoscope.

Well done. Glad your back.

Steve
Thanks Steve for your much appreciated comments... particularly as I admire many of your bird photos !

Yes, focus was tricky with these small, fast flying birds at close proximity. I will admit that there were several photos that weren't 'keepers' either!!

The blue sky yes... it made a good backdrop... though as the sun was overhead, it made the exposure tricky at times.

I had to google stereoscope to be sure what you meant. I was thinking of kaleidoscope, but knew that was wrong!

It's great to be back.

PJ