Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Default Defending the aerie

We were taking pictures of this eagle near his nest when he went into attack mode. Another eagle had invaded their space and they'd already had at least one bout before we arrived. The trespassing eagle was in some brush, across the road from the nest that contained an eaglet, who is nearly ready to fledge.

After swooping on the downed eagle, the attacker continued to circle and the female took to the air also. They were moving around so fast if felt like there were five or six birds in the air. The grounded eagle then took off and didn't make it very far before he was grabbed in mid air. Both eagles stayed locked together falling until they splashed into the water. The attacker flew off leaving a wet, muddy and battered trespasser to take shelter under some dead branches until he could dry out enough to fly away.

The fight disturbed several redwing blackbirds, who harrassed both eagles. Pretty gutsy little birds.

Taken with Pentax Kx and Sigma 150-500 mm lens
BobIr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #2

Wow, that is quite a fight! It always amazes me how ferociously animals defend their offspring. I would hate to be on the defending end of those parents!!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:20 PM   #3

What great series, and story to go along with it. I have not been able to see and eagle vs. eagle fight yet, but have seen eagle vs. osprey a few times. It is quite a sight to see eagles defend their nest.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:48 PM   #4

This was a first for us too. Was so taken in by the fast and furious action, I never had a chance to raise the camera. Sometimes I think I lose some the magic of nature by looking at it thru the viewfinder, instead of just taking a moment to watch.
BobIr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:22 PM   #5

That must have been quite an experience to witness that. We are glad that you had your camera when that happened.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:52 PM   #6

I agree Bob, There are times (although not many) that I either forget, or just don't raise the camera, just to enjoy the moment.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote