Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:56 PM   #1

Default Great Blue Heron Help!

plllzzzz help me.......
What is the best way to take pictures of Great Blue Herons?
the thing is.....i have a pond at the park by my house that i can go to ANY time and try to take pictures of it...(that is the good part) the bad part is that it is afraid of EVERYTHING! I can't come within 100 feet of it without it flying off......
also if i do manage to get that close in the picture the colors are all off and desaturated......is there any way to avoid this? i have a Canon Speedlite flash.....but that would scare it away even worse! (if it could get any worse..) also i have a 1.75x zoom lens (that is all ) so i have to get pretty close to get near filling the frame......is there any way of taking a picture other than sitting by the pond for a couple hours waiting for it to become acquainted with me being there and wanders over? (I really wouldn't want to sit with my 900 dollars worth of equipment at the side of a pond at a public park......)

thanks for any help
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

You could make a small tent and sit there. I believe that camaflage tents are made specifically for wildlife photogs.
You still may need a longer focal length lens, tho. If you're thinking of doing that kind of photography much from now on, you might think seriously of investing in a camera with a larger zoom lens.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:34 PM   #3

My Heron takes any kind of meat. Hot dogs, bologna Ė whatever Publix has a 2 for 1 sale on. Put some small pieces out for him and he will probably come closer for more.

Most herons donít like to get closer than about 10 feet. They have the largest comfort zone of our local birds. Egrets will come to about 5 feet, my little cow egret runs over my feet sometimes and pelicans will take stuff from my hand.

One of our local seafood restaurants has a heron that circulates among the diners accepting handouts, but that is odd behavior for a heron.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:43 PM   #4

oh? hot dogs? lol kool.....just place then in spots and it'll find them?
can i throw them in the water? (to add more spontanity to it?)
thanks for your help
(i would LOOOVE to get a new camera (like a digital slr) but i'm only 15 and i don't really have a job(lol) and i'm gonna have to bye a car and junk so i can't really do that.....)
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:41 PM   #5

I've gone floating fairly close to them in a canoe, but only with waterproof bino's. Don't trust my canoe skills enough with anything expensive that is alergic to water.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:25 AM   #6

lol me too......but i've never gone canoeing(spell check?) or kayaking before but there is a chance next summer that i might get to go to kayak on the lake by the grand tetons(gonna have to buy something so i can bring my camera.......)
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:31 AM   #7

The EWA marine bags are supposed to be pretty good.
I've never tried one yet.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 1:27 PM   #8

YAY! they have one for the G2 too! thanks
it looks much cheaper than the Ikelite housing i saw (well that thing was insane )
Old Feb 12, 2004, 7:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
oh? hot dogs? lol kool.....just place then in spots and it'll find them?
can i throw them in the water? (to add more spontanity to it?)
thanks for your help
My heron would probably go after them in shallow water because he knows what they are and is accustomed to my throwing them. I would think it would frighten a timid bird. They wonít mess with anything in deep water. Iíve never seen one in over a foot of water, and they usually prefer even less.

I canoe a lot but am reluctant to take my camera, non-waterproof watch and stabilized binoculars with me. I take them in the boat though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote