Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:19 PM   #11

Barbara, I had the exact same problem with prints, I was struggling in PS Element to produce prints that were either too dark (80% of the time) and too bright, and I tried many things, different profiles, did I ever waste expensive glossy paper with this.

In another forum, a guy (Sandman) told me to try QImage, which I gave a try and guess what ! It works, no need to fiddle with profile.

One thing you need to do though, turn off any sharpening, contrast, brightness AUTO setting of the printer.

In QImage, I don't use any profile, what's important is the monitor has to be calibrate, when you're done in PS, you're happy with everything, then open QImage, discard any profile and do prints.

That's it, and you'll be surpringly happy with the result, give it a try

URL here :

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

So after you've calibrated the monitor with the spider, try QImage
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:45 PM   #12

in that picture you posted about calibrating.......was it supposed to be tall squares all across or little squares of varying size in the area where the picture is (understand lol)
am i supposed to be looking for mixed in colors?

thanks for the prices too! is that 1600 canadian money for just the lens or for the camera too? (if that is with the camera that is an amazing price!)(not a bad price for a lens that big anyway lol)

lol may i ask how much for the blind? (thanks )
or where you got it.....whichever is easier for you
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:01 PM   #13

I like the shots of the cardinals best, mainly because they are focused the best. The chickadee pic on the perch is composed well, but the eyes are not focused and the background is overwhelming. Based on the cardinal shots though, that lens sure looks appealing!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
in that picture you posted about calibrating.......was it supposed to be tall squares all across or little squares of varying size in the area where the picture is (understand lol)
am i supposed to be looking for mixed in colors?

thanks for the prices too! is that 1600 canadian money for just the lens or for the camera too? (if that is with the camera that is an amazing price!)(not a bad price for a lens that big anyway lol)

lol may i ask how much for the blind? (thanks )
or where you got it.....whichever is easier for you
Ok the little calibration image I created is equal size squares with equal ammount drops of brightness starting from pure white, down to pure black. If on one side or the other you see like a long stretch black or white, then your monitor is off. This is only B/W stuff for contrast/brighteness adjustment.

The blind cost me 199$ CAN tax included, so make it about 60% of the price in US $

Here's the name of it :

10-10 Hideout Pop up Blind
By Hunter's Specialities

Just made an internet search , here it is :

http://www.hunterspec.com/... ...ate_display.cfm?pageID=769&categoryID=29

I'm sure you can find it somewhere in your area.

Cheers
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
I like the shots of the cardinals best, mainly because they are focused the best. The chickadee pic on the perch is composed well, but the eyes are not focused and the background is overwhelming. Based on the cardinal shots though, that lens sure looks appealing!
Hi ohenry, agree with you, its all question of size and distance, I used the blind as mentioned above and was about 12-13 feet from both Cardinal, the Chikedee, the one perched sideways was about 20 feet and add the size of the bird. Thanks for the input
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:26 PM   #16

ty eric
i looked them up
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 7:04 AM   #17

Quote:
give it a try
Only if my (relatively) expensive PrintFix hardware/software doesn't satisfy. Knowledge of QImage is just about one week too late.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote