Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:01 PM   #1
Bil

Default Kite Eating Tree

New crop of kites! I've had these 2 fledglings around for a few days, they've decided my neighbors cool dead tree is the perfect place to wait for mom and dad to bring them goodies.
1. The tree, on the left is the male fledgling (i think) and on the right is a yearling that was last years baby who almost has all the coloring of an adult now.
2. The male, lookin pretty. (out of sequence with the next picture as you can see his dirty mouth already)
3. Mom or Dad brought him a dragonfly (I think). The adults usually eat while they are flying, he seemed happy to lounge. I never seemed to be set up right for in flight shots so I missed all the good stuff, they are very quite flying when they aren't screeching and tended to sneak up on me.
4. The female fledgling showed up and thought the yearling should be helping feed her too. The yearling was having none of it and took off. You can see the yearling's tail still has light colored banding, the adults are solid light and dark gray.
5. Females are supposed to be slightly larger and darker head feathers
6. The 2 fledglings
7. The male landing from a practice flight. These are from the day before, it was a bit cloudier.
8. Male calling ma and pa kite, this was after a few crows were harassing him. They flew off when I walked up, he wasn't scared of me but was stressed
9. Male just hanging out
10 Ma and Pa a few trees away watching me watching junior. They would fly in a circle about a 1/4 mile radius calling. I think trying to get the kids to fly with them but eventually would give up and just bring them something to eat. After a couple of days the babies started flying to different trees more often.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bil; Aug 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM.
Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:06 PM   #2
Bil

If you haven't had enough here's more!
Attached Images

Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:38 PM   #3

Exceptional series! Nice job!
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:56 AM   #4

Very nice series. Kites providing you with lots of good photo ops.