Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 22, 2004, 1:59 AM   #1

Default Geese... need some help identifying

These aren't exactly "wildlife" photos, since they were taken in an urban park, but hopefully someone knows what kind of geese these are.

There were some with a large "bump" above the bill. I think the white and grey versions are just color variations on the same type of goose (or are these swans? Either way, they're not in my Peterson field guide).

There were also these smaller all-white ones without the bumps on their bills. Are these Snow Geese that are in the south for winter?
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:34 PM   #2
hst

Default Geese

Good photos. They look like geese. Here is a link to a geese site and these look similar. http://www.metzerfarms.com/goose.htm
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:48 PM   #3

I just happened to have "The Sibley Guide to Birds" next to my computer. I don't see them listed, so my guess is that they are a domestic (i.e. not wild) variety.

I will say this. That one in the first picture in mating plumage is just great (male, I guess.) I'd try to get a closeup of that head. That color contrast of white below and smoky grey fading to black down the top with the black beak is just striking. Plus, the curve of their neck is always wonderful.

Eric

ps. and people wonder why I shoot mostly birds. They can be amazingly beautiful and you see something different everytime you go out.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not sure about the ones in the second picture, but the ones in the first look to be Chinese Geese, according to that link.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote