Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:33 AM   #1

Default Fisher cat

I believe this to be a fisher cat, taken in southern NH we noticed this animal a ways back in the woods behind our house. It was digging/eating something at the base of a big pine tree. I took these with my E-PL2 and 70-300mm zoom, shutter priority at 1/500 second. I had to crop them pretty heavily and it was tough getting in focus shots through the trees.

fisher cat by ramcewan, on Flickr

Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:46 PM   #2

Looks like either a Fisher or a Pine Marten. We just call them Fishers up here. Both Fishers and Martens are part of the weasel family.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Looks like either a Fisher or a Pine Marten. We just call them Fishers up here. Both Fishers and Martens are part of the weasel family.
thanks for the confirmation lesmore ... it is rare to see them out in the day, down here, I am guessing that it found a den of either red ground squirrels or maybe rabbits at the base of the big pine, maybe at night, and thought to come back for another meal, as we had warm weather and the snow was melting and it did't want to have the crows discover it before it had as much as it could in it's belly.

One time we awoke to a terrifying scream outside our window early at 2am in the morning.. I have always been told of the fisher scream and still think maybe that's what it is only confirmed by this sighting, however the internet (NatGeo among others) seem to say that the scream we've heard is a red fox, of which we also have a few .. makes one wonder if this rarely seen animal is attributed the blood curdling scream because it is such a ghost, there but rarely seen, when in fact the fox is the one we hear.... (there's a bad what does the fox say joke in there that I am unwilling to make )
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
thanks for the confirmation lesmore ... it is rare to see them out in the day, down here, I am guessing that it found a den of either red ground squirrels or maybe rabbits at the base of the big pine, maybe at night, and thought to come back for another meal, as we had warm weather and the snow was melting and it did't want to have the crows discover it before it had as much as it could in it's belly.

One time we awoke to a terrifying scream outside our window early at 2am in the morning.. I have always been told of the fisher scream and still think maybe that's what it is only confirmed by this sighting, however the internet (NatGeo among others) seem to say that the scream we've heard is a red fox, of which we also have a few .. makes one wonder if this rarely seen animal is attributed the blood curdling scream because it is such a ghost, there but rarely seen, when in fact the fox is the one we hear.... (there's a bad what does the fox say joke in there that I am unwilling to make )
I have heard that the Fisher makes a sound like a distressed woman screaming. I've never heard the sound...but it would scare the heck out of me in forested area.

I live near the Canadian Shield....also the southern Boreal Forest and have seen Fishers and Pine Martens only on odd occasions. I almost ran a Fisher over...fortunately didn't as was able to hit the brakes in time.

Also saw a Wolverine...just once. Glad we were in our freighter canoe...an Old Town...BTW....made in your end of the continent.

Very interesting pictures. Thanks for posting.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:10 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing, that's a new critter to me.

jj