Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:13 AM   #2

Unfortunately, it didn't
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:36 AM   #3

hey!!! it's up!

nice shot
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:47 AM   #4

Odd. I did not see the image in the post, but I got properties on it opened a new window and pasted the path into there. This worked.

Very nice picture, BTW. I've been trying to see a long eared owl for awhile, but haven't been lucky enough to find one.

This picture is a little soft, but not badly. You could probably recover it with more sharpening in a photo editor (PhotoShop is good.) The exposure seems a bit light to me, but that is to your advantage. This should let you bump the contrast a little bit which would emphise the wonderful pattern on its back feathers.

So, tell us more about the shot!!! Was it luck? Where was it? Inquiring minds want to know!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:49 AM   #5

Default Long eared Owl

Not sure why some are able to see the picture and some aren't...

Eric, I took this picture while walking in a local park here in S.E. Michigan. I'd have to say it was definitely luck. I have been back a number of times looking for this owl but never saw it again.....I took your advice and sharpened it a little more. What do you think?

In case that doesn't work , here is the URL. There's a few more pics there and also EXIF info.........Thanks, Cal

http://www.pbase.com/calrap/owls
calrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:52 AM   #6

I like the photo a lot!!it looks natural, peeking behind branches and seeig an old wise owl!!!
i prefer tha sharpened version, the texture/colour of the feathers comes out better.
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:03 PM   #7

Sharpened version did alot for the image. Looks great. I'm also having to paste the link to see the image.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:51 PM   #8

Yes, that looks much better. (I had to cut/paste it again, but that's ok, it's worth it... nice picture!)

One thing that I've found from doing a lot of bird photography is that having the picture a bit light (either by lightning or slightly over exposing) and then giving it a little contrast boost helps a lot. At least for me, my nature shots seem to get darker when I increase constrast, so lightning seems to negate some of that. But the real goal is that it draws out the great colors & patterns that lots of birds have.

I just realised something that I hadn't seen before (and hurts the picture if you're being picky.) It is that there are some out-of-focus branches in front of the owl. This causes it to have patches that seem out of focus, but the bird actually isn't. There isn't always anything you can do about it... that's life. So take the pictures that you can get, and then try to take some more that don't have the branches. That way at least you get something. Birds photography is really, really hard to do well. And it's great when you get one that works (I'm still thrilled over my merlin shots that I posted here.)

Another thing that I find that helps is that bump in contrast. I find that my pictures from the 10D seem to have a slight fog over them. A little dullness to them. So even if I do a perfect exposure (ya, right!) I always give a slight bump in contrast (usually 4 in photoshop's contrast/brightness dialog.) That seems to lift the fog and improves the picture drastically. I can see this clearly between the two versions you posted.

Eric

ps. BTW, nice get of the Northern Saw-whet owl. They are not easy to find. They often sleep high up in red pine's and don't move during the day. Unless you know whree to look, they just disapear. I've been hunting one for the past few weekends, but haven't found it (others have, so its out there....)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Another thing that I find that helps is that bump in contrast. I find that my pictures from the 10D seem to have a slight fog over them. A little dullness to them. So even if I do a perfect exposure (ya, right!) I always give a slight bump in contrast (usually 4 in photoshop's contrast/brightness dialog.) That seems to lift the fog and improves the picture drastically. I can see this clearly between the two versions you posted.
Try defogging instead of boosting the contrast. I agree with Photoshop help that the contrast control is not for advanced image editing.

In unsharp mask: Amount = 17 and Radius = around 190. You can play with those numbers, but it really takes the haze off a shot. It doesn’t substitute for a sharpening step though.

I always thought that under exposing gave a darker rather than lighter picture.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:46 PM   #10

i didn't notice the out of focus branches.....just looks like the feathers are out focus where the branches are.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote