Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:48 AM   #1

Default White stork

First time posting pics in this forum, what do you think?

Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:14 AM   #2

You've brought out a lot of nicely balanced detail in a rather black and white bird. The first two are very good, particularly the second one. The third would be a great action shot if it were just a fraction sharper. Overall, very nice work.

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. I like the frames as well.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checklg
You've brought out a lot of nicely balanced detail in a rather black and white bird. The first two are very good, particularly the second one. The third would be a great action shot if it were just a fraction sharper. Overall, very nice work.

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. I like the frames as well.
Thank you for the comments.

The first two were shot in Raw, that's why the quality is better than the last, the third was shot in Jpeg using burst mode, unfortunnatelly the S5000 doesn't have burst mode available in Raw format.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:58 AM   #4

Nice shots! First two are tack sharp. Nice to see such pictures from an s3000.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:11 AM   #5

Wonderful shots! The color and sharpness of the first two are great.

Personal nits: For some reason, the composition just seems a bit flat to me...perhaps because the bird is centered in the picture. I tried visualizing a different crop to position the bird's eye at the center but it's difficult on a monitor. I would have liked to have seen the last photo with the bird more to the left so that he was flying into the scene, but given the situation of capturing movement that isn't always possible. Amazing the difference in the color of the sky between the RAW shots and the JPG due to the camera setting some of the parameters (wb, saturation, sharpness).

Very well done!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:06 AM   #6

I like them all. I agree with ohenry (we do that a lot) that the composition could be better. I do a lot of bird photography and one thing that I learned very early on (my first photo critque) was that you should put space on the side the bird is facing. So in the first two pictures you should add space to the left and take it from the right. In the last picture it's the opposite.

As to the third picture, it has the best potential. Action shots with animals are almost always better (all other things being equal.) They "tell a story", where as a bird just sitting there rarely does (it can, like one sleeping in sunset light, but they usually don't.)

Until you said that the 3rd was not raw, I was going to guess that it used a higher ISO. You should really try using neatimage (www.neatimage.com) to remove the noise in the sky. The first two have silky smooth skys, the 3rd has a lot of distracting (to me) noise. I find that it detracts from the image. If you remove the noise, I bet you could increase the sharpening a bit. which would help too. Give it a try and post the results, I'd love to see it.

Very, very well done. The exposure is great on a tough subject. I look forward to more pictures from you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:31 AM   #7

First of all thank you guys for your comments.

Gandalf, itís a S5000 not 3000

Ohenry and Eric, I have to say that I agree with you both on the composition matter, normally I compose the pics like Eric said, but in this case I didnít, the last one wasnít exactly a choice, it just isnít that easy to compose a picture correctly of a flying bird as Iím sure you guys know, perhaps with practice Iíll get there. Still I guess I could have crop them latter.
About Neatimage I didnít use it because the 3rd pic already has so little detail, that probably after running through it I would loose some more, but Iíll give it a try tonight, if I get any decent result Iíll post it.

Thanks again guys, you were quite helpful.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:47 PM   #8

I can understand the problem with neatimage. When ever I use it, I always think it's removing detail.... it's gotta be. But after I study the before and after I convince myself that it hasn't. Of course, all that means is that I can't tell, doesn't mean it doesn't do it.

The key is that after neat image you'll be able to sharpen it more than if you didn't use it.

Flight birds are hard. Heck, good bird photos in general are hard. Don't fret and keep going... that is part of the challenge.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:04 PM   #9

Hey Eric, is this any better?

Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:52 PM   #10

that looks great!

did you run it through neat image or something too or did you just crop it.....cuz it seems a bit sharper or something....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote