Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:19 PM   #1

Default exotic butterfly

Camera:10D Canon 180 Macro f9.5 1/200, RAW
Photoshop: exposure in RAW, touch of contrast and sharpening, reduced for size (this is almost full frame.)
I went to a "butterfly house" 2 weekends ago. Another forum I belong to rented the place for 2 hours. While I wouldn't want to do it every weekend, it was fun. They had butterflies from all over the world. I actually don't know what this one is called or exactly where it's from. My guess is South America, but it could also be Asia.

It's pattern is very untraditional, but I like it. I was attracted to it by the greens and pinks. I also like that dark wavy edge pattern formed by the back and fore wing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2

Incredible color in that bad boy! Nice shot!

(and good to see you doing it in the RAW )
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:47 PM   #3

that is spectacular!!! VERY nice shot amazing clarity and colors....not bad composition either!
you should be proud
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:26 PM   #4

Eric that is a heluva nice shot!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:43 AM   #5

ohenry
When frames per second don't matter, I use RAW. It's ability to correct white balance and shift exposure is to die for (as you and others have said.) But RAW writing is too slow for burst shots (that I often need for birds.)

Thanks for the complements. I like it a lot too. (When my girlfriend said "If you hadn't told me, I would have thought a Pro took the shot" I knew I'd done something right.)

I just wish the Canon 180 macro wasn't so expensive. I borrowed it for about 1/2 my shots that day. It's clearly shown what its capable of. I think I'm going to have to look at the Sigma, I guess.

This picture always amazes me as to how sharp it is full frame. I should post a link to the un-reduced version.

Eric

ps. Ok, a quick look shows that the Sigma might be as sharp or sharper than the Canon. That is what I wanted to find.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:50 AM   #6

well.....i think a "pro" did take this shot!
depends wat you consider a pro.....for the most part people think a "professional" would be someone doing it for money....but i'd like to think of a "pro" as someone talented and better than most at his/her craft....
in that case you are definetely a pro......
Old Apr 16, 2004, 3:21 AM   #7

Very nice work, Eric. You've caught the shimmer of the wings as well as the furriness of the body. Butterfly farms are a great cold weather option. As far as the macro lens goes, go on, treat yourself !

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:33 AM   #8

Very dramatic capture. If you buy a 180macro it will cut into your 600 budget. Close up or far away, life deals out tough choices. You could just get them both then you'll have the best of both worlds. You had better stick with the Canon though, if you don't , you won't be happy later.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:46 AM   #9

Yes, the 600mm is part of the reason I'm leaning towards the Sigma. I got nailed on some house repair work (flooding... we had 1 months rain (6") in 3 days followed a week later by 3" more of rain in two days) so I'm delaying the 600mm. Difficult, because I'd really get a lot of use out of that lens. Now I have to decide if I get it before my May 21rd trip to an island up in Maine. Because I'll need time before the trip to get used to it (i.e. buy it May 1st or so.)

Why couldn't I just win the lottery so money didn't matter? It's not like I'm poor (I know that) but I expect social security isn't going to exist when I need it, so I have to save for retirement now. :evil: :roll:

I am getting over $7000 back from the Feds in taxes, so that helps.

I have stayed with Canon lenses for compatability reasons for every lens so far. But the cost difference is SOOOO huge it's a tough choice. I just don't expect to use it that often so it's a lot of money to tie up in a lens.

Canon 180 Macro $1,219.95 USD
Sigma 180 Macro $699.00 USD

Those are adorama prices, which are basically the same as B&H.

Eric
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:06 PM   #10

oh that is tough....i think iwould get the sigma...for the reason that i don't have that kind of money coming in...lol but i wonder if it would do more good things with your camera if you got the canon......any other compatability issues other than having it fit on the camera?.....