Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:53 PM   #1

Default new Osprey

I went out this afternoon and bumped into this guy. This is actually reduced, and has lots of detail. The only thing I dislike is the sun angle. I'm going to have to go back when the sun is in a better location (not behind and slightly over him.)

I have no idea why this guy sat on the stop of that dead tree. It was rather windy and it clearly was having trouble balancing on it. But it liked that one over the many other branches around (some even higher up.)

Camera: 10D, RAW, 100-400L @ 400, 1/350, f5.6, ISO 200
PhotoShop: neatimage, white balance, sharpen, erased 2 distracting branch stubs.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:08 AM   #2

i can see wat you mean about the sun.....that is a major problem for me.......lol....the great blue heron i try to shoot is always in a bad spot...lol

but very nice good and close....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:43 AM   #3

Eric, I see what you mean about the angle of the sun, but I still think that it is an excellent shot.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 12:48 AM   #4

Wow, the pose is excellent, the emotion is powerful. It will be a good day if I ever capture anything similar. Again, you got the eye extremely effectively as far as I'm concerned. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that this guy is an easy one to find either.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 9:04 AM   #5

i don't know about near boston....but here in new jersey...i know exactly where one lives...same with a bald eagle...and you see might see one flying every once in a while...

the place where it lives though is a reservior/wildlife preserve....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 2:06 PM   #6

If you know where to look, they aren't very hard to find, but they are not the most common bird.

I believe they were much less common even 15 years ago.

Eric
Old May 12, 2004, 8:15 PM   #7

Very nice indeed Eric, shame the sun was facing his back... I know the feeling, it's not always practical to get the sun in front of all birds.

I try to keep that in mind though, but probably as it did to you, he showed and you decided to take the shot, coz moving around prolly isa lost shot.

Very good again
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 12:06 AM   #8

He was over water so there was no way I could get the shot with the light from the "proper" side. Some time I'm going to get my kayak out there so I can get on the proper side. Last I tried the walk-on-water lessons didn't work, so I'm going to pass on that.

I really should try to get back there to get more shots. Osprey are wonderful birds.

Eric