Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 9, 2004, 7:29 PM   #1

Hiding in the bushes, waiting for something to fly by. Not the best shots but it was fun:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2004, 10:35 PM   #2

The third one is really amazing Somehow you got such a great focus on the bird, but nothing else. How in the world do you people do these amazing things?

I thoroughy enjoyed them. :idea:You were just being modest!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 10:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the kind words, disco, I zone focused (pre- manual focused, guessing where the bird would fly), set my shutter speed as high as I could and still get light, made sure that my aperture was stopped down enough that I had a reasonable chance of focus (e.g. 5 or 6) ...then shut my eyes and prayed.I think the last part is probably the most important.

I was pleasantly surprised at how clear that little guy came out. Thanks again for your words of encouragement.
Old May 9, 2004, 11:58 PM   #4

That last one is nice. Not getting any motion blur is not easy.

It's a Common Goldeneye. They like lakes and are spread out over the entire country.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 4:18 AM   #5

Althought the last one is slightly better, I like them all.

What size lens were you using?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:54 PM   #6

Eric, I'm just beginning to experiment with wildlife shooting and I'm enjoying it immensely. I just picked up a birding book to find out exactly what I'm photographing and indeed I found it to be the Goldeneye, a very common bird in my area. Might this also be a "Barrow's" Goldeneye, though? The head shape seems to conform more to the Barrow's (from the photo I have), but the round white mark on the head seems to be more in line with the common Goldeneye. It's difficult to see the more distinctive wing markings from my photo.

Ferny, I was using an FZ10 with Panasonic's 1.5 teleconverter which makes it about a 630mm full optical. It's a wonderful camera but I'm aching to get my Rebel back so I can test out the 50-500 on this wildlife thing (Rebel's in for calibration).

PS - Eric, I was wondering how and even "if" this 1.5 converter might work on my Sigma 70-200 or even my 50-500, since it's a 2.8 aperture. It certainly doesn't seem to lose light when attached to the FZ10, as I've tested both with and without and the light seems to hold. Is it theoretically possible for me to use a step ring on, say, the Sigma 70-200, and still retain autofocus? And would it be a viable possibility for the 50-500? What do you think? Thanks.