Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 11, 2004, 10:29 AM   #1

I used the 2X on my 70-200 to capture this. I'm not real happy with the softness and it got worse when I downsized it to keep the image size small for the web, but here it is anyway. This is the full image as I haven't decided on the proper crop yet.

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2004, 11:48 AM   #2

wow! those are some gorgeous colors there!!!

nice shot!

i can see wat you mean about the softness....but this shot is over 100x better than any shot i could get of a great blue heron.....good job
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3

What a vibrant green.

Ya, its a little soft and the white is blown out a bit on the neck... but considering the distance and TC, it isn't bad.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 12:56 PM   #4

well.....that head there, adds a lot of difficulty to taking shots of great blue herons.....

hard to expose :-\ without losing the dark details, and without blowing out the highlights.....
Old May 11, 2004, 5:34 PM   #5

I punched the colors with Photoshop a bit more than I usually do and used an S curve to increase contrast. Experimenting around with curves to get rid of any color casts then increasing the saturation a bit. That's pretty close to the intensity of the green of those reeds. The shot was taken in around 8-9 AM in good light. Of course, he wouldn't let me get any closer so getting the shot without the TC would have been a problem. I REALLY NEED to get a long lens :!:

The 1.4 TC works great with this lens, but the 2 TC is tough to get good shots. I shot about 35 pics and they were all on the soft side. I think part of it may be the tripod that I'm using as well. I have a Bogen 3001 with Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. My feeling is that I'm getting a bit of camera shake when using the 70-200 with the 2X TC. I'm doing some research on a replacement tripod ... going to Gitzo, it's just a matter of whether I want to go with the 2227 for it's unique macro capabilities or go with a 13xx series. I like the 1325 but really think I'd like a short center post just for slight adjustments.

Old May 11, 2004, 7:19 PM   #6

It looks like you are going to keep that head, and you should. I've heard good things about it. Good legs are worth it, but you know that.

400mm + the crop is hard to get steady. I did ok with my Carbon One (Bogen/Manfrotto) but with my Gitzo 1348 (found it for sale used) I can do 400mm really well and 400 +1.4tc on good days.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 7:40 PM   #7

Yes, the Acratech is a wonderful head...a few quirks, but overall great. I like that it is very lightweight (lighter than other ballheads except maybe the Kirk B3). The 1328 is probably what I'll look at but I keep thinking the 2227 will have some serious benefits. If I would only win the lottery, I would buy them both :-)

The Bogen 3001 is a fairly sturdy set of legs and I like the features it has, but its shortcomings come apparent when shooting at higher magnifications .
Old May 11, 2004, 7:44 PM   #8

wat makes one tripod better when taking shots with higher magnifications? i mean...i don't see how it would move...unless you press the shutter or something.....

Old May 11, 2004, 8:11 PM   #9

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
wat makes one tripod better when taking shots with higher magnifications? i mean...i don't see how it would move...unless you press the shutter or something.....

The higher the magnification, the more obvious any movement becomes. ALL tripods have movement, some more than others. Mirror slap, shutter press, and wind can all contribute to slight movement. Using a remote shutter release helps.
Old May 11, 2004, 10:02 PM   #10

ah ok...mirror movement...and i didn't realize wind would have any effect!..but wouldn't there be mirror slap with a remote release?

thanks for clearing that up btw....