Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 23, 2004, 11:50 PM   #1

(Damn, this post disappeared, time to type it again.)

I went on a trip with some Pros and non-Pros this past weekend to Appledore Island 6 miles off the coast of Maine. You can find more info here:

http://seacoastnh.com/Places_%26_Eve...les_of_Shoals/

http://www.sml.cornell.edu/

They have a bird banding station that is fun to visit. They talk about what they catch, show you things (viewing warbler markings at 5 inches is amazing) and let you release some of them (let you hold them!) It was loads of fun, even though the weather was not very good (the sun only showed up on Friday afternoon.) It's a migratory food stopover for many warblers, flycatches, gnatcatchers, cedar waxings and a nesting site for gulls. If you get too close to the gulls they dive bomb you, either to hit you with their wings or cr*p on your head. Certainly adds excitement when walking around… keeps you on your toes. But on to this picture.

I got up at 5am this morning ‘cause I saw it was a bit brighter than other times during the weekend. I had tried to shoot some warblers (red starts, common yellow throats, and a few others) but they didn't come out very well. Required too much flash to stop those ever-moving birds. But when I saw this blob of blue I knew it must be a indigo bunting. My first ever! This guy didn't move much, which allowed me to shoot some without the flash. I couldn't get too close (I didn't scare it, but I flushed some sparrows which in turn scared it) so that plus the slow shutter speed meant less detail than I'd like. I still like the picture for its meaning to me.

Camera: 100-400L @400, 1/45, f5.6, ISO200, RAW
PS: RAW converer w/ a touch exposure, contrast & saturation. Levels, contrast, lab sharpen, neat image, crop.

Vito,

It would be a long trip for you to get there, but you can actually volunteer there without any previous experience. You can also take classes there I think. There is more info about the banding station under the "research opportunities" section. I would also bet there are banding stations in NJ (right?) where you live (probably in/around Cape May, now that I think about it.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2004, 12:04 AM   #2

I want more contrast on that expression primarily because it is an important expression. That bird has an agenda! Eric, here is my commentary, please tell me what you think, in all honesty: the expression is priceless, couldn't be better, that bird has an attitude!. Not enough contrast. The lights and darks are just not enough. That is my major and perhaps my only complaint on this particular image.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 8:19 AM   #3

I did alter the contrast twice, actually (once in RAW conversion, once from levels) but that doesn't mean its enough (just that it's better.) Looking at it now, it does seem a little flat (and like I almost sharpened it too much.)

I was a little afraid that raising the contrast would bring out noise. But honestly I didn't try it... so maybe I was wrong! I gotta get to work soon, but I'll try to remember to see what I can do to the contrast. It might help, but there is only one way to find out.

Eric
Old May 24, 2004, 10:28 AM   #4

Unfortunately monitor differences play a part so it's difficult to gauge such things by viewing on computer. In any event, extremely pretty bird. I'd love to see one land near me some day.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

nice shot

it does look flat, and grey because of the lack of contrast...

you might be able to bump it up a little....

oh yeah....thanks for that last bit....i might have to look into that! It sounds like a blast! (if you wear a nice poncho to keep the seagulls at bay )

i could handle a trip to maine anyway! is it just this time of year?

maybe i can plan one for one of the upcoming years....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 11:53 AM   #6

photosbyvito

I believe their section of the web site says that they band during the spring and fall migrations (but not the summer, I guess?) I don't know how long it's open, but it certainly was when I was there. You could always talk to them now to get info about doing it in the fall or next spring. They are always in need of people. The only question will be one of age. I talked to them about this before leaving (with you and another friend in mind.)

They just had a 14 year old girl there (left only a few days before I got there.) They ended up having to have one of the adults on the island sign a statement to become a legal guardian for her stay. They were not opposed to having another person in that age range come again (so I guess it worked out well.) And they were catching lots of interesting things (I didn't get to see the Canadian Warbler, for example.)

Eric
Old May 24, 2004, 12:11 PM   #7

sounds good to me!

i'll look it up...see if i can get some phone numbers or something
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote