Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 30, 2004, 9:38 PM   #1

I'll leave it up to you guys and gals to interpret what's happening here:

Next

And finally...

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:58 AM   #2

Norm, what a superb catch of the Tree Swallows in copulation! Many birds mate several times a day and seeing it occur is not uncommon for active birders, but to actually capture it in an image as you did is a rare and lucky event. Good work!

One reason it is so "lucky" is that mating in birds is a very brief event lasting only about two to five seconds. The male and female cloaca are nearly identical externally. The pressing together of their cloaca in a "cloacal kiss" allows rapid passage of seminal fluid and the quickness of the act serves well as a defense against predation.

Fortunately, humans haven't such concerns or constraints on their time....

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:04 PM   #3

Oh wow, this site is quite a learning experience. Too much for my little ears there, fellas. Lol.

I really liked the shots though, how far is your zoom? The pictures seem to be really close, yet still very clear!
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:50 PM   #4

For a more up close and personal view of the parts in question, a friend (and fellow hummingbird bander) just posted an artsy rendition of a hummingbird photo he took of a bird in-hand. It shows the bird's belly with an image of Joan Rivers superimposed on the belly, surrounded by the feathers of the sides and the undertail below. The cloacal protuberance is below the belly. The bird's claws are visible, as well as silver bracelet (the bird band) on its right leg. Note his fingers holding the bird on both sides. A little wierd, guess he hasn't enough birds to band this week.

Check it out at: http://www.cox-internet.com/hummer/JR.htm

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the interesting info Hummer. I went back again today and these same two were at it again. However, this time I left them alone.

Jenni, I used a 70-200 with 2x teleconverter, so that makes it about 400 mm.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:28 AM   #6

my sister and I waited for these photos to down load, and laughed when we saw what was going on, I have yet to see and birds mating herelet alone get to photograph it. I must say that it really makes the saying "short and sweet" come to mind:-)

They are great photos
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:03 PM   #7

Indeed you did a fantastic job. Them birds fly sooooo fast, got some good shutter speeds and sharpness there... gj Nice work...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:43 AM   #8

Thanks, this bird is cool and I took another one of it today. It doesn't seem to be shy

Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:43 AM   #9

Thanks, this bird is cool and I took another one of it today. It doesn't seem to be shy. I have no idea why this posted twice...probably because it isn't shy