Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:52 AM   #1

This photo of a Western Meadowlark was taken in the sagebrush/grasslands of northwest Colorado. I was actually on foot and shot it at a good distance, about 50 meters (Panasonic Lumix FZ10, hand held). Far from any road, the bird was calling from a "drift fence", (a fence not delineating a boundary per se, but erected to keep cattle from "drifting" from one portion of a range to another).

Western Meadowlarks are loud and prolific songsters. I can often hear them at a mile distant. In the dawn chorus on the sagebrush grasslands I can stand in one location and might hear ten or more male meadowlarks calling simultaneously. By measuring distance to each bird (with a laser range finder), and their bearing from a point, spacial distances can be mapped and population densities can then be estimated.

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:33 AM   #2

Great shot, it's a pity that the bird is not just a little more crisp but all the same a nice photo. It is great to look at all the different types of wildlife from around the world in this forum. :-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote