Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 4, 2004, 2:44 PM   #1

I did the only thing that might catch one of those miniature SST's: tripod, long lens, prefocused, then sat on the porch steps waiting for the telltale big-bee sound. One mistake. Failed to increase ISO resulting in some blur, but I'm still so darned proud of myself that I may not pay bills until tomorrow.

Attached Images

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:10 PM   #2

ahh!! the picture isn't showing!! i want to see!

man....you get me all excited to see a hummingbird picture....and you go and pull this on me!!! haha jk....

i do hope it comes back!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 3:54 PM   #3

It's baaaack!

I tried your method of uploading the picture, then putting a link to it, then deleting the attachment. Apparently, deleting the attachment also wipes it off the server. Pooh!
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:00 PM   #4

Hi Bcoultry

Actually, I quite like it. You have captured the hummingbird in "midhover"? as it assesses the best way to proceed to the nectar!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:08 PM   #5

Nice one, the only birds I see much of in my garden are magpies. I think they scare the others away. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:20 PM   #6

ahh it IS back!!!

cool shot barbara!! hummingbirds are the best! it's amazing how they can float and hover like bees...so cool

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:25 PM   #7
djb

Barbara, very nice shot. i haven't seen a hummingbird in ages!!!! i used to catch them by following them around the flowers until they got to deep flower and then cupped them in my hands. didn't catch many but, a few. they are really beautiful little birds. again, very nice shot.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:35 PM   #8

The thing about this photo is that, though it isn't really good, not technically anyway, it's nevertheless rare to get any kind of shot at all of the little mites. I've seen a few really stupendous pictures of hummingbirds, one rather recently that a friend took, andit made me mad just to look at it. I mean, if HE can do it, how come I can't? Of course, he's a much better photographer than I am, but still... Like you, Vito, with the egret, I'm determined.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:37 PM   #9

djb wrote:
Quote:
i used to catch them by following them around the flowers until they got to deep flower and then cupped them in my hands. didn't catch many but, a few.
In your last life, you must have been an Indian who could catch fish with just your hands.:-)
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:15 PM   #10
djb

Barbara, believe it or not i did that too!!! there was a spawning pool off the Charles river here in Massachuseets and you could literally pick them out of the water if you could hold on to them. all were suckers and carp.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote