Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 6, 2004, 4:59 PM   #1

Larger image here :

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...rd=&page=1

I'm taking part of a photo of the week contest, the image could be found on the 2nd page, it depends if its active or not.

Cheers

Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:44 PM   #2

ahhh..ya showoff

fabulous shot as usual....great job!
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:30 PM   #3

Aargh!!! And I was so proud of the almost-in-focus hummer I caught the other day. I'm going out into the yard to eat worms with the slow-moving robins.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:33 PM   #4

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
Aargh!!! And I was so proud of the almost-in-focus hummer I caught the other day. I'm going out into the yard to eat worms with the slow-moving robins.

Lol, don't stop Barbara, patience and perseverance do pay off

Try to get the Robin perch in trees if you can, just sit somewhere near a tree, don't move and eventually it will be your day

Cheers
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:45 PM   #5

You're right, Eric. I've done practically no bird photography at all, and here I am with my heart set on one of the most difficult to capture. I really should work on the slower ones first or the ones less likely to be easily spooked like the chickadees and those bad-boy crows. It would also help if we put a bird feeder in the yard. We live between a meadow and the woods, and the birds are all out there.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:56 PM   #6

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
You're right, Eric. I've done practically no bird photography at all, and here I am with my heart set on one of the most difficult to capture. I really should work on the slower ones first or the ones less likely to be easily spooked like the chickadees and those bad-boy crows. It would also help if we put a bird feeder in the yard. We live between a meadow and the woods, and the birds are all out there.

Ahh then you're set for some fun then. Chikedee are not affraid of human, you can even train them to come eat in your hand if you have enough patience. Although doing this means no other source of seeds around, they'll always pick the easy route. Just buy a selective feeder for Finch/Cardinals. And maybe another vertical silo type for small birds. Most birds prefers black sunflower seeds, apart gold finch which really prefers Nyger seeds. A peanut feeder will attract Chikedee and Blue Jays for sure

Cheers
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:44 AM   #7

Perhaps a 1/1250 shutter will help you freeze the wings.:lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 4:03 PM   #8

Thanks, Eric. The info will come in handy VERY soon because I talked with my husband about it last night, and he decided to make a freestanding hooked pole to start out with, hanging a feeder from it and testing locations that are amenable to both the birds and me. He's on his way home from his shop right now (he's a welder) and may be bringing the pole with him.

I particularly like the little birds--finches, chickadees, sparrows, etc.--so I'll start out by trying to attract them first. Doubtless, I'll have to learn to love the squirrels, too. We have both the gray and red varieties here. They hate each other.

As a matter of fact, with enough patience, I could catch the resident fox and also a couple of bobcats. They're all fat and happy with the huge rabbit and turkey populations.

Our own private zoo complete with deer ticks and Lyme Disease.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:17 PM   #9

this may help with "pole placement"

put the feeder near a bush, or pine tree....something that they can fly into if the need/want to.....i've read a little about this....you put it like that so that they can feel safe when the fly over, just in case a hawk happens by....or some other bird-eating creature,

but then you'll have to find a pine tree or bush near an area you can take shots from
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:56 PM   #10

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Eric. The info will come in handy VERY soon because I talked with my husband about it last night, and he decided to make a freestanding hooked pole to start out with, hanging a feeder from it and testing locations that are amenable to both the birds and me. He's on his way home from his shop right now (he's a welder) and may be bringing the pole with him.

I particularly like the little birds--finches, chickadees, sparrows, etc.--so I'll start out by trying to attract them first. Doubtless, I'll have to learn to love the squirrels, too. We have both the gray and red varieties here. They hate each other.

As a matter of fact, with enough patience, I could catch the resident fox and also a couple of bobcats. They're all fat and happy with the huge rabbit and turkey populations.

Our own private zoo complete with deer ticks and Lyme Disease.

Very nice Barbara, if you have a cedar fence, birds are safe there near by. As soon as there's trouble they'll go hide there. For squirrel , I found the solution : I feed them with black sunflower seed, its quite cheap compared to some more expensive grain which you prefer small bird to feed from. Also I have shelled peanuts for the squirrel and Blue Jay. Got a female grey squirrel whom is about to labor soon, she's big like you wouldn't believe and the nipples are out already. I thought (like dogs) that nipples would only come out when they have labored, guess I was wrong.

Good luck with your project