Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 11, 2004, 4:57 AM   #1

I am not a hummingbird hunter and just got this one lucky. There are not many hummers around in my area. Sometime ago, my wife saw a hummer came hovering around a flower and bought a feeder. Two days ago, I saw this little thing came while I had a D70 in hand. So, I took this first hummer shot. It was taken through a thick glass window, and, as a result, sharpness is not so great. I used a D70, Nikon AFS 300 F4 and a TC-14E II. Aperture was F5.6 with a shutter speed around 1/500 sec. It was a cloudy day, and I could not use faster shutter speed to compensate my hand-held AFS 300 F4. Yes, I could use higher ISO; but, I really do not want to increase noise level. This is my first hummer shot ever. Image was cropped, resized, slightly leveed, and USM-ed.

The next four are various birds using D70 (my D100 is in Nikon's shop for fixing AF problem, and waiting for a D2X) and AFS 70-200 F2.8VR or AFS 300 F4. This one is a chickadee. I like chickadee very much. This little thing is vert adorable and friendly.

This one is common grackle. Unfortunately, due to a bad shooting angle, I could not get a good shot that can show all of this bird's flash color.

This is a male rose-breasted grossbeak. All morning grossbeaks were gone. They came in a large group and stayed for about a month. Now, none of them can be seen. However, I still can see a few rose-breasted grossbeaks around every day, visiting my feeders.

This is a common visitor, morning dove.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:16 PM   #2

Great variety of birds, shene. I especially like the look of that grossbeak and the dove's pose.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 6:03 PM   #3

nice shots shene!

you might want to look up "Neat Image"....it helps with noise a lot!

the sharpness isn't bad on the hummingbird being through glass and with a TC!

gj

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote