Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 12, 2004, 5:59 PM   #1

The action shots were at extremely high ISO in order to get enough shutter (1250 to 1600)as this was an overcast day and I was using the 50-500 at full 500 (6.3 aperture to F11, I can't remember specifically. I think the stationary was at F11 and the shutter was I think about 100). The stationary shot was at I believe 400 ISO as well, but it could have been 800. I'm too lazy today to check the exif. For all I had the lens on a sturdy tripod, focused right at the post,and had a remote shutter attached. It was lots of work but I'm happy with the results.These gregarious birds are such fun to photograph.

I personally like the little head coming into the frame from the right, so I kept it in. This is perhaps one of my favorite photos yet because of that little tidbit.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:02 PM   #2

Excellent shots!

How do you get so close and keep them so clear. Do you have some sort of stealth mode where you can walk right up to them or do you have a 1200lb zoom lens that brings them in from the next county.

As a rank beginner this is the sort of shot I want to eventually be able to produce so please be patient with my questions about your methods.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:01 PM   #3

great shots
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:55 PM   #4

Zoom, I'm awful lucky and am attempting to work out what the animals will accept distance wise. Following these shots I tried to get a few yards closer with my car (I shot the first ones from my car because I believe that a car is a crude blind). The swallows checked out the car and what was inside and didn't come back. Lesson learned, and swallows are about as gregarious as can be but the positioning needs to be natural and not contrived, as I was with the second positioning of my car. I'm working on blinds that will work without spending a pile of money. I actually think that a garbage bag may work, or a piece of cloth with camoflage. However, I'm realizing that birds are not dumb and I would guess that each species has a boundary of acceptability, for lack of a better phrase. Most ducks wouldn't even begin to be as accepting as these swallows, And a heron, well, good luck. In other words, I'm learning and testing. These swallows are pretty accepting animals, I think moreso than a robin, so the capture so close is perhaps not so great. But thanks for the compliment anyway.

Thanks for the compliment aladyforty
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:56 AM   #5

Great shots.

At the local park there is a Great Blue Heron that won't let me get within 30-50 feet with my camera. But this same Heron will stand still when someone walks by without pausing. I've even seen it let a person with a large dog walk right by within 10 feet or so. If it sees you looking at it, it prbably thinks you're looking for lunch! :O With a camera it probably only sees a huge eye staring at it.

I wonder if you could make afilter with a hologram ofa fish or something. But, with my luck it would work, and the heron would attack my lens! :lol:
photo_mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:14 AM   #6

breathtakingly beautiful birds and awesome captures by the photographer!
Rustysgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote