Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:24 PM   #1

This little turtle would have became roadkill if not for our sharp eyes. It was sitting in the middle of the road sunning itself. After taking this picture we kindly moved him to the side of the road into the marsh grass where it would be safer.

Attached Images

Rustysgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:42 PM   #2

A nice thing to do. I believe this is a box turtle, but you should generally be careful about moving turtles. Snapping turtles that size could easily remove a finger. And their necks are longer than you think, they can bend their heads around and get at you when you think you're safe.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:41 PM   #3

From what I saw from other websites, its not a box turtle.Hereis a eastern box turtle from another website.

And Im sure its nota snapping turtle, those are much bigger and not so cute looking. But snappers do have very long necks. Thats just a common turtle that we see around in ponds, etc. They never get any bigger then your hand.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:54 PM   #4

I did some checking on the web and found out this is an Eastern Painted Turtle. It is a very docile turtle, in fact they are commonly sold in pet stores as a beginner pet. Thankfully this one was in the wild where it belongs!
Rustysgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:23 PM   #5

Ahh.. painted. Of course. I should have known that. Where was my brain?

I wasn't trying to say that this *was* a snapping turtle. Just that unless you can ID one, I would be careful. I've seen them snap a hockey stick in half in one bite. (Not that I was poking it or anything.. really... I was only about 10 years old. Even then I knew better than to use my finger. 8) )

We had a pond in our back yard while I was growing up. Every year it spouted turtles laying eggs. When the 1"+ across turtles came out, you were very careful.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote