Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:53 PM   #1

I'm next to positive that this is a flycatcher but I'm not sure what kind. It has strong wing markings like a Cordilleran but the colors don't look right to me. However, all I have are the books that I see and nothing else in the way of expertise. Any input would be appreciated. As well, Hummer, I got a few more shots of that catbird and was really listening to it's call today. Now I know why it's called a catbird.

Flycatcher hiding behind a tree

A bit betterview of the bird in question

More shots of that catbird (a real curious fellow who seemed to appear out of nowhere to check me outand then disappear a split second later). The amazing thing was how close he actually got when checking me out. I think that he knows that I've been showing a bit of an interest in him lately perhaps. In this first shot he was only a few yards in front of me, took a peek, and was gone. Thankfully my camera was pointed in the right direction.

Second catbird (same bird, though,I think. I've never seen more than one at a time and he's always behind a twig or two. Only once did he venture beyond the twigs...I missed that shot of course). It's an interesting looking bird to me and it's definitely got a unique personality or nature or whatever one calls it in bird chat. That black top really adds something to this animal.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:13 PM   #2

Well, it is definitely one of the Empidonax flycatchers.

It's breeding season Norm, so these birds are most likely on their breeding grounds. If I remember correctly, you said you were in southern Canada, right? That being true, then it could be an Alder, Least, or Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher. It doesn't appear to me to have enough yellow on it's underparts to be a Yellow-Bellied. If it seemed to frequent swampy areas with willow and alder, rather than open woods or orchards or groves, then it could be the Alder Flycatcher, otherwise the Least.

Did you hear it's song? Could you describe it?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:07 PM   #3

I did hear it's song but can't recall exactly how it went. I was more focused on the catbird's sound. I'll try to focus on this one next time around. I saw it only once, and briefly at that.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote