Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:53 PM   #1

This was a strange day...

I photographed a waxwing landing on some deadfall right in front of me and it took off again fairly quickly, so I wasn't sure what I'd gotten until download. It seems to me, after download, that it had been in a battle immediately prior to the photo being taken. Either that or it just dunked itself in the water. I hope the latter is the reality. I even debated posting it but wanted other opinions, especially from people who may know if the "water" thing could be a possibility here. However, it looks to me like it's more than a wet head problem. Edit: I think that I should add that this deadfall is a place where a huge crow likes to wait for these waxwings and anything else that happens by, somewhat like the troll under the bridge. I must say that this black animal is not my favorite bird but, then again, it needs to eat too so I'm not overly upset at the whole affair. More intriqued than anything else perhaps. Reality is reality.

Next strange thing happened when I decided to play with the 50mm focal range on the 50-500 because nothing was happening with birds surrounding, so I focused on a wild rose a few meters away. Following download I noticed a bug on the flower. It was interesting because I had no idea that bug even existed until after download and inspection. I like this feature on the Sigma 50-500, the diverse focal range. No, this is not a commercial, just a statement.

Sorry, here's another posting that may seem like a lens ad but it's not. When I first got to my spot I saw an oriole way up at the top of a tree so I decided to focus as much as I could, with tripod and external shutter, just for practice. Again, I had no idea until after download that this bird was surrounded by bugs. No wonder that was it's favorite tree.

And how was your day?

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:26 PM   #2

wow! that is awesome norm! (the last pic)..........great color on that bird too!

don't you just love good suprises?

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:32 PM   #3

Vito, I'm surprised that you didn't offer an opinion on the first photograph, either positive or negative. That was the most compelling photo to me and I was hoping that some here would offer an opinion. I was a bit concerned about that bird, but not too much. Just a bit. Of course I would understand everything if the text was not all read.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:39 PM   #4

ahh..sry....i'll voice wat i was thinking

i noticed that it doesn't reallylook like blood....and if it was...i'm not sure how well it would fly...my guess is that he found a nice birdbath, or that pond you go to all the time....

of course...i'm not bird expert, so anything's possible...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:43 PM   #5

Thanks for responding to that photo. I hope you're right.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:59 PM   #6

Hi, Norm. These were some unusual shots you got.

Without evidence to the contrary, I'll err on the side of optimism and say that the waxwing looks like it had just come from a refreshing little dip at some watering spot. The feathers on the underbelly also look at bit matted together as though they too are wet. It's possible that the waxwing was in the middle of bathing and had to fly off (predator, disturbance, who knows) before it could properly preen and fluff out. The biggest indicator would have been its behavior - did you keep observing it and did it appear in distress?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:59 PM   #7

Norm, I'm not sure about the Oriole, they only aim at flower pollen, not insects. Unless I'm wrong there. Nice shot though.

Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:04 AM   #8

Eric, I think you might be mistaken about what the Orioles feed on. I had always noticed that they fed on insects and fruit. I did a little google'ing to confirm this too just in case my memory was off.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:05 AM   #9

geoff, I didn't see that bird show any disturbance beyond the photo, so I've decided to accept that it was a water thing, thankfully. I appreciate the support for that possibility, and I don't even want to "think" about another possibility. So I won't
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:08 AM   #10

Eric, the only strange thing about that photo is that the bird is sitting there and not attacking the insects. It doesn't appear to be interested in the bugs, no matter how profuse they are, which seems to support your idea.

I'll let you experts discuss that sort of thing, since I have no idea