Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

For those of you who have taken photos of birds but don't know what the particular bird is, there is an online catalog available for id'ing birds based on various characteristics that you enter.

Look at this page.

I'd still like a shot at identifying the birds for you, but if you're in a hurry, or I'm not around, or I can't id the bird (quite possible), this can help.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:19 AM   #2

Thanks for that link geoffs, could come in handy. It's still much easier just asking you, though. So don't be a stranger.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:14 PM   #3

And it's more fun! I like looking at the shots and trying to figure it out. And reading what lead others to their conclusions. Very helpful.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:23 PM   #4

very good point eric...i like reading that stuff too...and i LOVE looking at the shots....

but i can't find my bird book...so i'll use this for now

looks like an amazing site...thanks for posting it!!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:25 PM   #5

You're welcome vito (and Eric and Norm).

I'm not going anywhere. Keep posting those pictures as I find it alot of fun to both look at great photos and try to identify the birds!
Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:03 PM   #6

Ok, if you want a real challenge, take a look at this one:

http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/menotom.../mystery1.html

I know what I think it is. Lets see what you think. This the only picture I got of it, and the only view I got. It was kinda near water & an old-growth forest. I was watching a great crested flycatcher when I saw it.

Eric
Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:48 PM   #7

Eric, you're really funny, you know that :-)

That's quite a picture you posted the link to. Anything I id this bird as would be a pure guess. Before I even venture a guess, I'd like to ask you some questions:

1. If you can recall, what were your impressions as to the size of this bird?

2. How did you come to see it? Did you flush it from the understory and it alit on the branch? Was it just sitting on that branch staring down at the undergrowth?

3. Was it making any sounds? If so, what would you liken them to?

4. Was it an oak tree I can see in the background? It almost looks like it from the outline of the out-of-focus leaves.

5. Were the trees predominantly deciduous or conifer?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:10 PM   #8

Why, that's a Common Nighthawk, of course. Barred undertail, widely forked tail....

Ok, so I cheated, I looked at Eric's other web photos. Good job Eric, thanks for the fun!

BWT, I don't have time to respond to every post, but your Yellow Warbler shots are super, congratulations. I'm a Scout too, (earned my Eagle in 1968). Keep up the good work, Eric.

Best Regards,

Hummer
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:24 PM   #9

Now, Hummer, you took the fun right out of it for me! :-)

Actually (Ihope you believe this), I was going to venture a guess that it was a nighthawk, but was waiting for Eric to reply to my questions.

Darn...
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:34 PM   #10

To answer the questions:

1) It was a bit smaller than pigeon size (but not as tall.) But this was, literally, the only look I had of it... so I could be wrong.

2) I was looking around for a great crested flycatcher, that loved the trees in that area and saw it just sitting there. I never saw its face, so I can't say that it was "staring" or anything. Only saw the rump.

3) It was making no sound. Not even snoring.

4) I think it was an oak tree, yes.

5) The area is mostly deciduous... but only that area. It was taken at Horn Pond & Horn Mountain in Winchester, MA.It isblessed with a variety of terrain... streams, a large lake, a mountain (well, 298 feet... but it's called a mountain! Go figure.) some large red pine groves, some scrub areas. Really a wonderful place to bird, actually.

Hummer did kinda cheat... I knew Ishould have only posted a link to the picture and not the jalbum created web page. Oh well. I hope you liked the shots. I posted them for the others who went on that walk with me.

I actually think it is a nighthawk as well, but I don't know. It's a rather odd location for one, but the coloration and the way the wings are held (not next to the body, but sticking up some.) If you look at that gallery, you'll see I saw two others that day. But they were in completely different terrain about 1/2 a mile or more away from this location.

Eric