Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:56 PM   #1

The sun finally came out for awhile here and I got some shots ofwhat I think is the female Cowbird (with ruffled feathers which I liked) and the warbler with a bit of "blue" in the background... finally. I almost got a full frame of another warbler but wasn't fast enough. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Cowbird, full frame. This guy (gal)almost landed on me.

Warbler that sat still for long enough for me to think (and finally some color in the background. The Sigmalenses havea way with color that I personallylove, and this color thing can especially be seen with Eric CAN's shots, who uses the same lens):

One more (I tried to catch him/her [ask geoff] calling)

I'm happy to post a bit of "blue" in the background, finally, as my posts over the past week have had a very drab background since it's been extremely rainy and overcast for 2 weeks here. I'm thankful that this has ended, even if the farmers love the rain. My camera doesn't.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:11 AM   #2

wow norm! nice work! the ruffled feathers are just great!

the colors (like you said) are beautiful! the blue looks great against the yellow

nice shots again norm!

Vito

(fast Vito reply #1 )
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:15 AM   #3

Vito, either you are a computer or you are Greek (no, not "geek"). How do you do it? You are amazing to say the least.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:01 AM   #4

last shot is exellent
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:03 AM   #5

Good capture of a female cowbird, Norm, and really nice captures of the Yellow Warbler, especially the first Yellow Warbler shot.

Have you seen other warbler species during your field trips? I love warblers and miss the variety of them that occur in the eastern part of the continent. The western US is not nearly so rich in warbler species (it's sort of the reverse of the hummingbird species distribution). In any case, I'm putting in my two cents for you to try and get some nice shots of a variety of warblers - a difficult task to say the least.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:06 AM   #6

I'm not sure on the gender of that first shot either. But I like it. It could be a this-year fledgling... which would explain why it didn't care about you. It hasn't learned to fear people yet. Was it calling a lot for food? That is the giveway right now.

And that is a nice yellow warbler. They are lovely, aren't they. Don't be dismayed if you can't always get a shot of them, most warblers are very skittish, and usually active. Just part of the fun... allways challenging you to get a better shot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:28 AM   #7

Eric and Norm, the cowbird looks like an adultfemale to me, especially as Peterson's describes the juvenals as being somewhat streaked (rathe than solid)on the breast and a bit lighter in coloration.

In my experience cowbirds have never been very skittish around humans, often letting me get as close as several feet from them. But, then, those were "city" cowbirds :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:09 AM   #8

well..norm....i just happen to be on almost every night when you are posting....and that time of night is normally when i've read and replied to almost every thread..lol...so i am just sitting there waiting for a post...:-D

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:36 AM   #9

Very nice shots! Very clear and great colors.

Really like the subtle differences in browns of the first bird. The exposure appears to be right on.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:40 AM   #10

Great shots Norm. Tack sharp and the second Warbler shot is very nicely lit. Good dof also.
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote