Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:14 PM   #1

Even though it rained a bit, I had to go out and try my new lens. I got my 600mm f4 IS lens today. And wouldn't you know it, the herons were almost too close. What a pity. How I do love to watch herons.

This older one was displaying to scare away a younger one. I believe you can guess the age partially by the feather "pony tail" off the head. I think its part of the mating plumage and the other one (being young) didn't have it yet. In fact, it was getting pushed around by several different older herons today.

I like the picture, except for the plant coming out of its back. I have several others, including one with a worse pose and no plant and a better pose and the "back plant". I might edited up all three and put up a small gallery… see which you all like best. I'm mixed… am I being a perfectionist when I care about the plant?

Camera: 10D 100-40.. oops. 600mm f4 1/350 ISO 200 tripod

PhotoShop: RAW convert, contrast vialevels, layers (thanks Eric CAN), dodge, clone, sharpen, resize

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 7:07 PM   #2

Now I'm jealous I can't believe you actually bought an EF 600 L !!! Wow !! You're not in the same league as me anymore. Wish I could make that sort of money to buy a lens like that. Here in Canada this is $11,000 CAN, way too much for my income, LOL

Superb shot Eric, when you'll get use to that focal lenght, you won't look back

Now I'm quite envious of your new acquisition. Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 7:32 PM   #3

Dayumm! That lens is sharp.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 7:42 PM   #4
djb

i hate you!!!!! not really!!! wow, nice shot. sure beats a s602z with a 2.2x addon!!!! really nice and sharp!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:31 PM   #5

Eric CAN, with your PS skills, I won't be in your league for awhile. I might be able to get better starting pictures ('cause this lens is optically better than the 50-500 you have) but you can easily run rings around me in PS and turn your shots into something better than what I'll produce. I'm starting to think I should take a photoshop course 'cause I don't feel like I'm advancing (I think it's because I view PS as a chore and not a fun way to produce a good shot.)

I work very hard (in fact I'm going to do more work after posting this) and I live very frugaly. That allows me to spend money on the things I really want (After I research them to death!) This purchase was (and is) very difficult. Other than buying a house, this might be the largest single purchase I've ever done (my car is used... so it was right around this price.) Will I really use it enough to justify it? Was it worth it? I purchased "pro" stuff, but I'm not a pro, did I waste the money? All difficult question. Only time will tell.

No one answered my question... does the plant out the back of the heron bother anyone? It bothers me, but my girlfriend's father came in and immedately said that it didn't bother him at all (I don't think he was being kind....)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:10 PM   #6

Yeah, the plant is unfortunately placed. It's slightly out of focus so it isn't as bad as it could be. Obviously, it would be better without it there.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:40 PM   #7

Really sharp shot, Eric.

About the plant: to be honest, I didn't really take note of it when I first looked at the picture because the clarity of the bird captured my attention. Now that you have pointed it out, of course I can't keep my mind off of it :sad:But, it is out of focus so attention still gets directed to the heron. Yeah, it would be better if the plant wasn't so unfortunately placed.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:41 PM   #8
djb

i agree with Ohenry. it looks like the background is so out of focus that it could be cloned out or smudged out somehow fairly easily. it is a bit distracting but, as long as you really focus on the bird then it seems to not be that bad. my 2 cents.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:58 PM   #9

Plant? What plant? Wow!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:15 PM   #10

oh man eric.....if this was just a "quick test shot" i can't wait to see your "day's in a blind" shots, or "day at the park" shots!

absolutely beautiful!

about the plant, this is where PS can come in handy....i seriously think you can blur it out of focus in PS!

oh yeah....if you need help with any particular thing in PS, i'd be glad to help, just pm or email me, or go here... www.good-tutorials.com

an amazing site..thousands of tutorials....

i like to make graphics, signatures, wallpapers and stuff with photoshop...so that's how i learned it, just using those tutorials, and stuff like that....once you get used to it, photoshop it just an amazing program....

ok i'm done...

gorgeous details in that shot! i'd say it was worth the money! as long as you can go out and shoot with it decently often!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote