Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:48 PM   #1

These first 2 subjects are a bit different but I liked the way they looked. I was sitting with the 50-500, waiting for birds and some things began tohappenin the 50mm range, so I took advantage.

I've never seen a dragon fly with color like this one. Maybe because this is a hatchling and the color isn't so dark? Any insect experts out there?

A different sort of bird; I liked the shadow of the bee on the flower

I think the chickadee eggs hatched because a zillion chickadees were fluttering about today. Here's one of the little guys. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is just a baby, right?

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:25 PM   #2

hmm.....i'm not sure...it does have a "babyish" look to him....but the "immature" birds normally are brownish in coloring....

nice dragonfly...doesn't seem as sharp as possible....but it's pretty amazing you even got it full frame like that! dragonflies are sooooooo cool looking! keep shooting them!

the bee is my favorite in this post....even though it isn't facing you, i love the shadow, and i love the clarity, i also love how sharp the flower is next to it! beautifully done!

also, dragonflies go through "incomplete metamorphesis" so it goes from egg-nymph-adult...

so unless it darkens up as an adult, it must be full grown...

well...i'm done...nice shots!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3

Actually, chickadee fledglings have pretty much the same plumage as their parents. I think that this little guy is very likely a fledgling as there are appears to be a softness/downiness to him that I might expect of a young bird just out of the nest. Pretty darn good shot.

I also really like the dragonfly - it's really sharp and the thing has great color.

(Found any warblers yet, Norm?)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:03 AM   #4

geoff, believe me, you will be the first to know it if I do. So far only the yellow. I'm hoping for a Wilson's, Orange Crowned, Yellow Rumped, especially a Black and White, and a Redstart. So far only the Yellow, if "only" can be a word defining that great little bird.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:16 AM   #5

Yellow warblers are beautiful, Norm - I love them, as I do all warblers (I cut my teeth on warblers as a teenager).

I should think that in your region you would be able to locate:

- common yellowthroat --> wetter areas, thickets, song is very distinctive (once heard, not likely to forget it, sounds like witchity-witchity-witchity...), near ground level.

- yellow-rumped (used to be Myrtle's) --> very common, conifer and mixed forests.

Among non-warblers, it's unusual to be in any deciduous woods and not hear an Ovenbird. It's song is an incessant teacher!-teacher!-teacher! usually rising in volume before it tails off. Sighting one, well, that's difficult as they like to stay on the ground.

I assume you have Peterson's field guide for birds? If not, it would be really helpful to get a copy.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:47 AM   #6

Wonderful closeup shots.
I just love the last one, such great angle and close detail.
Well done.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:10 AM   #7

Norm, If you look close you'll find your insect to be a Damselfly and if the color is true it is a male Blue-Fronted Dancer.I do not know your area or it's native species but I feel certain that is what you've photographed.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:33 PM   #8

Thanks Tomsch, I just looked that one up and it appears to be the right fellow. It's nice to know the name, now I can read up a bit on it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks Frank.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:05 PM   #9

Very nice hat trick, Norm

DOF is truly outstanding!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:08 AM   #10

I appreciate you offering a specific (dof) on this one digcam. Both positive and negative comments are very welcome as sometimes it's difficult to focus on either when it's one's own work. Sometimes the author unconsciously ignores the flaws and focuses too much on the good stuff...or ignores the good stuff and focuses too much on the flaws.

I think that's why I like Vito's posts so much. He tells it like he sees it. Any negative comments that you have I'd love to hear as well because that sort of thing is helpful in the growth experience in this great artform.

I like Frank's input for the same reason.

Thanks again for the the "dof" specific.