Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:33 PM   #1

Please, I know this is not a very good photograph. I only wish to find out what kind of hummingbird it is and any information that the experts here might be able to offer.

I don't see hummingbirds very often and this thing was so tiny I couldn't believe it. It was like a large bumble bee. I'm amazed and intrigued at this little bundle of flitter flutter perched high on a branch above me. Good grief, at first I thought it was a leaf that looked like a bird, then I realized it was a bird that looked like a leaf, and a small one at that.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:02 AM   #2

Hi Norm - I see you've been at it again :-), you know... taking shots that are normal for you and amazing for the rest of us...

This little bundle of activity, which you caught in a moment of stillness, couldn't be anything other than a ruby-throated hummingbird. I can say that with some certainty since, if my memory serves me right, you are in the eastern portion of the continent, a bit north of the Great Lakes, right? The only hummingbird, other than accidentals, at this time of year would be the ruby-throat.

This is a male, easily determined as such by the dark bib which in the right light would be an irridescent ruby color. The female is white or light in that spot.

Now, if you were in the western part of the US there would be many more choices of hummingbirds to confuse you. I always found it difficult to id them since they dart so quickly it seemed I never got the time to be able to glimpse identifying characteristics.

It'd be worth it to setup hummingbird feeders where you live. I'm sure you'd eventually gets dozens of them coming around to feed and be photographed.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:11 AM   #3

geoff, I'm going to throw a screw into the addmix...I "am" from the West, from Western Canada, Alberta to be specific, central.

How does this alter the choices, and could you be a bit more specific on what choices I have here in the West, thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:28 AM   #4

Well, that was a slight curve, but not curvy enough :-)

Being that you say that you are in central Alberta, my id of a ruby-throated hummingbird would still be the correct determination. Go further west, on the border between BC and Alberta and you might also find the Calliope (the smallest hummer) and/or the Rufous hummingbirds.

Phew, you got me a bit worried there!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:39 AM   #5

Thanks, I thought that color on top looked familiar. Now I know who my little guy is, so I can call him by name (unless of course it's a her)
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:47 AM   #6

Nope - that's a he. The females have white throats.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 12:52 AM   #7

Okay, now my goal is to get a photo of the female...and now I'll know which one it is. Thanks!