Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 21, 2004, 6:56 PM   #11

ohenry wrote:
Quote:
Eric, do you use fill flash when shooting birds?

Edit: Never mind, I just saw your earlier comment

Hehe that's fine ohenry, no I try to use the natural light provided. When I got the camera last fall, I was literally making errors all the time, what to do or not. Now I know what not to do :-)

Cheers
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:12 PM   #12

These are spectacular photographs Eric. You need to find a publisher soon. I'm sure some painters would just love to get their hands on your photos as subjects. Thanks for sharing these others.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:14 PM   #13

Hehe thanks Norm, I have more in the bag

I'm trying to build a neat collection, then I'll knock at doors
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:50 PM   #14

Eric, these are superb pictures of chipping sparrows and redpolls. The dark background really acts to make the birds stand out!

The picture of the redpoll that you think could be a hoary redpoll doesn't give me enough information to be sure either way. It may be the hoary redpoll but it could also be a female common redpoll. What would indicate which one it is would be if we could see the bird's rump, which in the hoary redpoll would be quite whitish but would be darker and streaked for the common redpoll. Lacking this view, I'd have say that I think it could probably be the female common redpoll based on the bill which tends to be more conical shaped among hoary redpolls.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:37 PM   #15

Geoff, the photo above the one that could be a Hoary is a female, look at the belly of that one and compare to the one we think its a Hoary. Since this was captured in March-April, that's almost a year after the new ones came out. I wonder if it could be a immature one, but it would be almost a year old. Is it possible its a cross-breed ? Since bother species are almost the same, apart the feather. And they do travel together going south in fall.

I'm really not sure as you.

Thanks for the comments