Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:34 PM   #11

A last shot, same Goldfinch he came back 15 min later

Cheers everyone :-)
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:15 PM   #12

oh man! i love the lighting in this one...the shadows on it's "tummy" are great!

nicely done!

i'm amazed....7 shots! with 2 good ones?! you must be picky of wat you shoot too!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:24 PM   #13

I don't edit as many as I should (and therefor don't post as much as I could.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Eric, I'm personally bothered by that statement because I feel that I'm losing a blessing from you because you don't post something that you think isn't perfect or processed to a tee. I hope that you post what you like whether or not you think that it's technically perfect because perfection has many levels, and the technical is only one of them. I feel like I'm losing something because you may not be posting images that are not technically perfect in your eyes. I hope you change your mind on this matter and post what you like, whether or not it's technically "correct."
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:33 PM   #14

hmm...good point norm....

i could say the same thing as eric...except his standard is a lot higher than mine..lol...i've posted a great blue heron shot...that was the best i've ever taken, but was TERRIBLE..lol (it's posted in the forum...you can probably find it....like page 5-6 lol)

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:41 AM   #15

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
oh man! i love the lighting in this one...the shadows on it's "tummy" are great!

nicely done!

i'm amazed....7 shots! with 2 good ones?! you must be picky of wat you shoot too!

Vito

Vito, I'll drop off the camera all the shots that are blurred (bird moving when shooting at a lower shutter speed), or not sharp, or many time I made the mistake of not framing the bird correctly ; this happen often when the bird fills the viewfinder - this is a question of fraction of a second, the bird lands on a branch and I have frame the bird swiftly, AF the bird, sometimes the AF may have difficulty - happens when the bird lacks contrast, so AF again and shoot. Many time the bird is gone already - or I had only time to to focus, no time to compose and there - piece of the tail missiing.

So these are my common thrown shots off the camera. When I started shooting birds, I was literally shooting each shot I could get, not taking account the background. How it will look on a print or the screen ? I think its normal to elevate standards with times, I mean the more you shoot, the more I think as a photographer. It's all mental really, I force myself to think, does this look good ? Sometimes I go for a ride on backroad roads - my favorite landscape photography and while I travel along village, or mountain or lakes, I slow down and look and try to find something that would look good 'framed'. I force myself to turn on "photographer mode ON". My vision changes, I start to do bird photography the same way.

Part of the learning process, been through all the newbie errors, bad lighting, back lit, blown highlights, underexposed. I still do these errors believe me, but I'm trying to be more concious about this.

Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:39 AM   #16

Eric,

You have really inspired me. I have realised that it is time to upgrade my Sony 717 (which I really love). I just ordered a Nikon D70. Time to move to a DSLR. I'm so excited! :-)

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 8:26 AM   #17

Darrel, first thanks

Now about DSLR, think of this as a system, eventually the body will have to change, not the lens. So why are you going Nikon route for birding ? I understand Nikon D70 has more features than a DRebel for now. But camera feature is one thing, image quality is another. Also there's some issue I can't stand with the D70, for instance back-focusing, on another D70 forum, about 10% of all who bought one has back-focusing issue. Then there's this moire problem (which you won't get in birding), but if you choose to shoot some other type of photography, you might get into it. And for last, at high shutter speed, there's a strange thing happening which induce weird color patterns on certain area of an image.

Canon have a much better choice of long range telephoto lens, and there line are getting bigger. Image Stabilization is now up to a new generation and is applied to more and more choice of lens. When you compare price of long range telephoto primes and zoom, Canon has the upper hand. Canon use their own develloped CMOS and computer to work that image. RAW is easier to work with Canon CMOS, compared to Nikon method.

ISO 100 is a big plus for me (especially landscape), the dynamic range is the highest at that ISO - higher dynamic range = more latitude to play before highlights are blown vs deep shaddows and for last ISO100 is noise free. At ISO200, noise level is incredibly low with Canon DIGIC processor, and to me its less noisy than Nikon counterpart. At ISO400 still the same, Canon is ahead. Now at ISO800, many says Nikon is ahead, but I have experience with that ISO level and my bird shots are incredible only if you exposed things correctly, here's 2 example :

So before making a final decision, think about what system you want to get into, don't think short term. The D70 with more bells and whistles, or Canon with better image quality overall. Think about the you're future upgrades in lens choice too, that's the most important consideration you have to think when going into DSLR.

Cheers