Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:30 PM   #1

The hummingbird was an acrobat today. It's habit of protecting territory, even in the natural environmentas well ashuman feeders of course,was a real help. I have a bit of a concern about feeding stations for this bird after reading some material about how some feeders, if not properly made, can cause fatal problems. I'd personally rather photograph one in the natural environment where I don't need to worry about sugar mixtures or territorial anxiety resulting in loss of life. Any comments on this would be appreciated since I'm not sure how accurate some of this reading material is.

Technical: I played with white balance and various exposure settings, knowing full well that in order to freeze wings I'd have to go up to 1600 ISO, which I was not prepared to do. I'd rather have blurred wings and a good photo. I also used a flash for a few, just to see what the bird's reaction would be. To be honest, he didn't seem alarmed, so I'll probably use flash on him again if necessary. I stress, if necessary. All photos were very slightly cropped but reduced substantially. My 50-500 was pointed right at the twig and what you see is almost full frame. Anyone wishing to see a non-cropped version I'd be happy to comply, but it will take some time to upload for you to seesince I'm on a modem (you know, one of those ancient telephone connections). I was also happy to see some blue sky. These photographs were not processed except for some slight sharpening out of camera.

Here are a number of photographs taken today. I caught his tongue in this one, which was a nice surprise

I'm going to freak out that annoying photographer below me and make my wings go at 75 flaps per second just to bug him...hehe

Now I'm going to scruntch up into a mass of feather clutter just to bug him. I love freaking out photographers, almost as much as sucking on red flowers.

I'm gonna scruntch up even more. I love bugging this photographer

Now I'll moon him just for a sec, or is it a her?

Man, I wish he'd just take off

This photographer bores me, I think I'll go and find my wife. I'm gonna keep her well away from this idiot with the big black eye too.Man, guarding territory is sometimes a bittaxing.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:39 AM   #2

I just love these shots, Norm. I don't believe that in all the pictures I've seen of hummingbirds that I've ever seen their tongue! That was a really good capture! I'd love to hear from Hummer about the likelihood of seeing that in a photograph.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:45 AM   #3

So would I. Believe me, Hummer was always in the background while I took these. Or perhaps the foreground.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 3:42 AM   #4

Great photos. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:00 AM   #5

having tried to get shots of birds today with my new cam, I really am amazed at these shots. Ive got so much to learn about this SLR and I kinda thought it would happen the first time I used it :-), no such luck. I think I took about 150 shots and threw away 110:-). What is left are OK but not great, still in time I hope I can get some shots half as good as yours.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:25 AM   #6

That forth picture is really wierd.... at first I thought it was lieing on its back... you really had found a crazy bird there.

Good shots. Did you actually know the hummer was in that area (I guess so, as you've posted other shots of them, right?) We get them down where I am, but not often and I truly have no idea where I'd go to try to find them. Maybe it nests in that area so you'd found its territory?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:48 AM   #7

Normcar, I still say you must have some sort of cloaking device to get so close to these skitish birds as you do.

Great action shots!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:43 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments on the bird. Eric, the bird amazes me to no end. I'd read that these birds guard their territory like crazy, and the territory, of course, is an area that contains loads of flowers. This particular area has two flowered areas, one being this one. Apparently these birds will rush off to oops (feed, I guess s-u-c-k isn't allowed)then return to guard the area and digest, so they are very predictable I've discovered. They return to the same limb, and even the same position on a limb, every 5 minutes or so after feeding. They then sit, groom, and digest.

I set my 50-500 right under the limb, about 5 yards away, on a sturdy tripod, with a remote shutter. I played alot with settings, white balance, etc., and just a good time.

It looks like these ones will be around for awhile because otherwise they would probably be gone by now, so I suspect they are actually nesting here and I want to get the female. I've been reading a bit and I think that the female is busy elsewhere at the moment but may soon appear. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.