Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:03 AM   #11

I have no idea what kind of bird this is but it sure is cute:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:17 AM   #12

Geoff & Co. are right, it's a White Throated Sparrow (but of course they're right, they are better at ID'ing birds than me!)

If you had taken this picture about... a month or so ago, it would have looked slightly differently. Notice how the white patch stands out 'cause there is gray around it (to the sides and below)? Well, what happens during mating season is that the grey gets darker. This causes the white patch (the thing they're known for) to stand out like a neon sign at night. The white looks really bright. It's the strangest of things... you get used to them looking different than other sparrows, but (like many sparrows) not having a lot of contrast. But then mating season hits and they dial up their contrast.

I had one at my feeder at just the right time, and I had to do a double take before it sunk in what was different.

The other big tell that it's a white throated sparrow (I think) is the yellow patch above/infront of the eye. Only a few (one? two?) sparrows have that yellow.

As for not wanting a critique... there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I post on another form (which is way more critical than this one) and for what it's worth we are fairly kind here. I try to make damn sure I say what I like about the shot before I say anything else (I don't always do it, but I try) and if the person says they what comments about X I say something about X. Especially since I often ask specific questions about my posts (like that plant sticking out of my last heron shot.)

But I also think your right. I'm sure there are people who have posted a picture and ended up getting a critique. I'm pretty sure I offended jazcan with one of my first posts in this forum (wow, 2000+ posts ago. That was awhile ago.) Turned out I gave the person what they were looking for, but she was right that it was... very directly stated (and it was only luck that I guessed right on what they wanted to hear/learn.)

It is very difficult to know what type of comments a person is looking for. And it's hard as a photographer to not make comments about how you would have taken the shot... but there are times you have to do that. The trouble is knowing when. So please just say what you want from the shot. I'm happy to just give an id, and throw in a tidbit of info (like this time) when I have it.

For what it's worth, I don't think the white balance is off on these shots, but I wasn't there. White balance is difficult to get right, especially outdoors when the light is always changing. As to what Vito said, you can fix it in PS but it's not easy (there are plugins that make it easier.) RAW makes it trivial to fix (which is one of two main reasons I switched to RAW.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:54 AM   #13

I can't identify your bird but I think I can speak to constructive critique. When I was in high school 35 years ago I had a two hour photo class/lab which included a critique circle. It makes you tough - well... because you learn how to give constructive criticism and everybody improves. However that isn't what you are asking for. Have you seen this website?, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9259912.
I think it is really interesting because this photographer really talks about the technical problems of photographing birds. He sure has a lot of heavy and expensive equipment.

My own personal philosophy is to get the picture. It is hard. They fly away before you are ready! My latest challenge was actually birds indoors at a raptor presentation. I had my FZ10 and the lighting was ceiling mounted halogens-yuck. I had the camera set up at ISO 400 - no flash and did what I could. I absolutely love the pictures I got. I have full frame hawks and eagles on their teathers. I had to work fast as they only showed each bird for less than five minutes. At least I knew what they were . Anyway the point is I'm just loving my time with my camera especially when I can go to the marsh and just sit there for hours and watch and snap. :-)
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:42 AM   #14

Normcar,

Nice pics, excellent detail.

Nice post on the critiqueing. I am sure many are intimidated by the level of photography on this board. Others learn and grow from it. Depends on your personality type as to how you handle critique.

Seems clear that a person would normally not post a shot unless they liked it and wanted to share it. I think if people keep that in mind while adding a little constructive criticism it's all good. If a person has nothing good or constructive to say then don't post. In my experience that is already what I have seen and experienced on this forum. I have found the feedback here to be positive and constructive.

I know when I put a photo on that nobody likes because I get no replies. Fair enough!

My home computer has been down for 10 days and I have quite a few pictures I have been chomping at the bit to post and get some feedback on.

As others have stated and I agree, I think the most important thing is to get the shot. Then make the most you can of it in photo development later.

Following is an example of what I am talking about. Granted the after photo is still not that great and you have seen this photo before. I was just very pleased to get the shot and wanted to share it, knowing it was not good technically.

The first shot is with just a little brightening and the second is from a fellow on another forum who took it and messed with it on his layering program.

The thing is that without examples like those I see on this site it is tough to know what is or isn't technically correct. For me that is the great value I get from this site, along with the feedback I get on my pictures and the feedback I read about on others pictures.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:49 AM   #15

i have to disagree with one thing you said in that post....

you said "I know when I put a photo on that nobody likes because I get no replies. Fair enough!"

but, that isn't "always" true...lol...it might be a good amount of the time, but some people might not have posted to it, because in forum activity it slipped down to the bottom of the forum, or something...

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:48 AM   #16

And this is why I sometimes post a reply to my own shot asking a specific question or two. People seem more likely to answer when they are lead to an area to talk about.... and it raises back up to the top! (oh, selfish, I know.)

Just putting up a picture and saying "comment!" (the equivalent of saying little or nothing) can be hard on people to say something.

Eric
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:52 AM   #17

very true eric...it is selfish...but you get comments like that lol

i've done that a couple times....go into my thread, and point out something i liked about the picture, thank someone for their comment, or point out something that could be better....

Vito
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:33 AM   #18

I shared a story with hummer and geoff in another string about an ecounter with a squirrel that I had. It was amazing. This squirrel was hiding from a crow and it tried to emulate a tree trunk but stretching vertically on the trunk, completely still, not even moving a hair. This all happened a few feet in front of my and I happened upon it by chance.

Well, I didn't post the photo herebecause it wasn't technically great.

And that's my point. Sometimes photos are posted here "not" for critique but to share a moment. I don't want that to be suppressed because I like experiencing the moments that others experience, whether or not the photo is crappy. I don't want people tohave to think twice about posting something because they may be critiqued.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:15 PM   #19

Personally, I don't post some shots that aren't technically up to my standards when the goal was to make them "up to my standards". When the point was to capture a moment, I convince myself that I should put them up. Like my shot of the heron going to the bathroom on a jogger. Or some of the posts of that humming birdyou posted. Clearly not your best shots technically, but what a great set of shots!

I'm working on a picture of a bird bathing. Not a very good shot technically, but his expression is just great. So I'm going to post it anyways.

Eric
Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:37 PM   #20

i doubt steve will put up another forum for critiquing pictures, but maybe you could add "not for critique" in the description..or at the beginning of the post...

i'm now seeing your point norm, i didn'tfully get wat you were saying before, but i do now...it makes sense...

Vito