Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:50 AM   #1

I hope I will get used to this camera soon, the big lens seems so heavy.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:28 AM   #2

That is one of the downsides of SLRs. The lenses with the same focal lengths are much larger than with the smaller P&Ss. Considering I'm lugging around a 12lb lens, I am particularly sensitive to this right now.

I like the throat colors in the first one. I always like it when a bird has some shene like that (there are a few which have it but it isn't obvious... then its a lovely surprise when they turn their head and bing, it lights up like that.)

Nice gull shots. I used to get annoyed at them (they can be everywhere and be pushy around other birds) but I've started to appreciate how they fly. They might not be raptors, but they soar very nicely.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:44 AM   #3

I really like the first shot.

The colors are very interesting.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:07 AM   #4

yes I like the first shot. I took another one at the same time but it blurred, one of the birds was looking at his reflection in the water. would have been a great shot focused.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:50 AM   #5

Congrats on the purchase! Great colors in the first shot, it looks like you're off to a nice start.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:09 PM   #6

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I hope I will get used to this camera soon, the big lens seems so heavy.
You're now back where you were with your old film SLR, but with the huge advantage of being able to take a look at what you've done, and try again if necessary.

Resign yourself to the great weight, put a tripod and a black cloth and a magnifier (for reviewing shots on the camera monitor) in your backpack, and give us lots more of your lovely shots.

I've gone the other way. My (quite little) Casio QV-5700 is my 'big' camera, but in my pocket most of the time now is a little 3Mpixel Jenoptik, which is a bit 'point&shoot' but can produce little gems occasionally. So I suggest you need a little toy 2-3Mp 3x zoom camera in your handbag *as well* to complement the Rebel when you can't be bothered to carry it.

Happy shooting!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:07 PM   #7

I never classed the G3 or the A10 as big, so they are always there to use, although hubby has basiclly taken the G3 over as his now:-)I dont think I would push my luck with getting anymore camera gear just now:-)
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:09 AM   #8

It seems to me that you are becoming very focused on getting good photographs, and I share with you this feeling. I've come to the conclusion that, in order to get really great photographs I need to do the following:

- accept the fact that I need a DSLR

- buy a good, sturdy tripod with a ball head or better.

- get a remote shutter release (not expensive and eliminates any vibrations from the hand)

- learn patience ( I have no idea if this is possible, I just know that it would be an advantage. I certainly have not yet learned this one)

- have at least "one" good, sharp lens. My recommendation is a Sigma 50-500 for wildlife. It won't break the bank and will give you sharp images if you abide by the rules above. This lens will also put you in the zoom area of the professionals. And, from what I've seen, not too far behind in quality images as well.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote