Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:08 PM   #1

I kept seeing this hawk fly off in my trips to the field and finally went and took a closer look. There was a ground nest and here was this surprise standing in the middle of it. I snuck up behind the sage brush and got to within about 10 yards.

Any ideas on species for this guy.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:00 AM   #2

Zoomn, it took me a little while to home in on what kind of hawk this immature bird is, but I think that I have the correct id for you. This nice little guy, which you have captured extremely well (I especially like the middle picture) is an immature Northern Harrier, also known as a Marsh Hawk. You can read about them here.

Marsh Hawks are pretty neat. They can often be found flying low over open areas like grassland, farm fields, etc. Their distinguishing characteristic when you see them flying is the white rump that can be seen for a long distance.

It's neat that you found the nest.

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:17 AM   #3

Good grief zoomn, every time I stop either my bike or car to photograph a hawk, I hear a few screee scree's and my subject vacates the premises. And here you are getting within 10 yards of a baby!?

Is your nickname Rambo?

Next thing I hear you will be baby sitting these critters. Great work indeed!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:21 AM   #4

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Is your nickname Rambo?
Haha - he might have the chance to be called Rambo given the territory he is treading into. Say, zoomn, have you had a close encounter with a rattler yet?
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:08 AM   #5

Geoffs,

I think you are right on with you ID again. You described the mother hawk to a T.

Thanks for the id.

No I have not seen a rattle snake in there yet but fully expect to someday.

I will try to get some shots if I do. I am pretty scared of snakes however, so they might be kinda shaky.

When I was sneaking up on the hawk there was a 2 point mule deer about 20 yards off to the side that was distracting the hawk, which made it much easier.

I took a few shots of the deer but did not like any of them, then he caught my scent and was off, maybe another day.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:16 AM   #6

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the id.

No I have not seen a rattle snake in there yet but fully expect to someday.

I will try to get some shots if I do. I am pretty scared of snakes however, so they might be kinda shaky.
For the id you are very welcome. Keep posting bird pictures as I love the challenge of trying to determine what type of birds have been photographed. I'm batting a pretty good percentage up to this point but I expect to start striking out sooner or later.

Don't be too worried about the rattlers as the snakes tend to want to get away from you as much as you want to get away from them. Your biggest worry is if you surprise them in a situation where there is nowhere for them to get away to. For example, this might happen when you are scrambling up rocks and you use your hands to grab onto rocks - if a rattler is using a crevice among rocks or is sunning itself on a rock it might get surprised and decide to react. Just being observant is your best defense and it sounds like you already have that in your favor.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:34 AM   #7

Great shots Zoomn. You must have been quite excited to find him. Nice work!

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote