Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:59 AM   #11

Hmmm...I got into photography about that age. I learned on a Kodak Retina 1A that my father had.That camera took some of the sharpest photos.

Then I took a High school course that was offered as part of the Graphic Arts program. That really got me hooked. I just had to buy an autofocus camera because they were the newest and greatest thing. Besides, a friend had bought himself a Minolta Maxxum 7000, and we would all drool over the thing. Saved up for ages until I could get one, a Pentax SF10 in 88 (the darn thing cost over $800 Canadian at the time). I still have it as one of my film cameras. The autofocus didn't work so well in those early generations, and looking back...boy how the tech has changed...

Now things have sort of gone full circle. I now teach photography (among other things) at the High School level, trying to hook others into this wonderful hobby.

Yes, sports mode has its uses. I have found its greatest advantage is in taking avian flying photos. It is much quicker at focusing then I am.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:06 AM   #12

I used auto on this shot and panned along with the bird.

I too started photography young, 13. My dad got me a little agfa instant camera for christmas and I never stopped loving the hobby. I went nuts when I had my first child and took hundred of photos:-)Seven years later I had my second child and as they were aged so far apart it was like having another first child so out came the cameras again, that was when I got my first SLR (1988). Now my son who is Vitos age runs when he see the camera come out. I guess thats what happens when you stick a camera in ones face too often.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:20 AM   #13

I'm a late starter then. Sure I had the odd point-and-shoot when I was little, but never really used them. I only got a proper camera in February this year, a film SLR.
Well, if you're going to start something, you may as well jump in with both feet. :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:26 AM   #14

I think i've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm 38 and just got my first camera in March this year. I'd hardly ever touched a camera before this so i've a lot to learn. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:39 AM   #15

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
I think i've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm 38 and just got my first camera in March this year. I'd hardly ever touched a camera before this so i've a lot to learn. :-)
Jackrussell - long after you've played your last recreational soccer you'll still be taking photographs. It's a great hobby because you're never too old to start learning photography and can enjoy it until the day you depart from this life.

BTW, all of you young people had camera technology available to them as youngsters that I could never even have imagined when I was a child. I started out with pinhole cameras and little Kodak Brownies :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:51 AM   #16

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I used auto on this shot and panned along with the bird.
I used the panning technique on a series of shots I took of seagulls at the Oregon coast last week. But, instead of using auto exposure I selected shutter priority mode with a speed of 1/1000 so I could ensure stopped action - it was bright enough that my f-stop would be high enough. I just wish I had more than 140mm max focal length available with my setup. Here's an example of some of the seagull shots:

Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:51 AM   #17

I've heard bad stories about the Brownies. I'm glad I have more choice than them now. :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:54 AM   #18

Ferny, i saw a post about Brownies earlier. It was something to do with having trouble uploading the photos to the PC. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:55 AM   #19

Hmmm, that must have been an IQ problem with the Brownie and the owner! :-)
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:50 PM   #20

Lol, I would imagine so! :lol:

Nice gull pictures.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote