Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:45 PM   #1

I was out in my boat today and found this little guy floating in the intercoastal waterway. I brought him home and put him in my storage room with some sunflower seed and wild bird seed. He hasn't touched the food although he is almost standing in it.

I had thought it was a type of dove, although it doesn't look like any I have seen. I ran a computer search of all the doves that frequent Florida and he doesn't match any of them. All of our doves gobble up both kinds of seed I left for him. The beak is completely different from a dove beak.

I hope he isn't a bug eater because I'm not about to go out catching bugs for him. I thought he had gotten his wings wet and couldn't fly, but he has had enough time to dry them out and he still doesn't seem to want to fly away. He can escape the storage room if he wants to as I left the door open enough for him to leave.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:47 PM   #2

The swelling is gone from around his eyes and he looks a lot better. He still doesn't want to leave. Might have spent the night in the water to get all that swelling.

He still hasn't touched the seeds and I don't know whether he drank any water. The markings look like a dove but I have never seen one with that beak.

Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:54 PM   #3

Let's face it, Slipe, no matter what, you are a new daddy. Congrats!

And thank you for loving this bird enough to care for it. Great photos too!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 5:09 PM   #4

Hey, slipe, I think that you've recovered and brought back to health the last surviving Passenger Pigeon :-)

Seriously, that looks like some type of pigeon to me (which is in the Dove family, btw).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:30 PM   #5

He is very small. If it is a pigeon it is very young. And the beak doesn't match any pigeons I can find photos of.

Hope he doesn't expect me to regurgitate food for him.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:51 PM   #6

Pigeons come in all sizes and colors, slipe. The normal pigeons we see on our city streets are what we call feral pigeons. I don't know if this one is feral or not, but there are many fanciers that raise and breed pigeons. Here is a link to a page of thumbnails of the many looks of pigeons - some have bills that look like the bill on your bird:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/spud1/pigeon_pictures.htm

It could be that your little guy escaped and somehow got himself into trouble, got tired, and ended up in the drink. You saved him and perhaps now you have a friend for (his) life.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:26 PM   #7

I hadn't thought it a pigeon because it is so small. A bird forum said the beaks are like that before they mature. The hairs among the feathers identify him as very young also. Evidently it is a common rock pigeon.

He hasn't tried to fly since I picked him up. I'll keep him overnight and hope he can fly tomorrow. Hopefully he was just exhausted after flailing around in the water for so long.

Thanks for the site. I wouldn't identify many of those birds as pigeons.