Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:10 PM   #1

This Red Naped Sapsucker (99% sure of ident) has an unenviable job of satisfying this extremely noisy infant. The cry of this baby never stops, never (no exaggeration). It is continuous. I have not heard it not stop crying out for mama's food. For you experts...is this normal?

Technical: it was raining yesterday so I returned today but the sun was at the wrong side of the tree and it was still overcast, as you can see in the background. In any event, I got a slightly better rendition this morning. I may try again later today when the sun gets around to being where it should be for this shot..."if" it doesn't rain, that is.

I also got a flat tire immediately after the photo shoot. I was using a very old car with very old tire changing equipment. I was sweating afterwards. Isn't it strange how you can go from ecstacy to agony so quickly.

Mama providing (gawd, this mom has a job and a half, the infant never stops screaming for more)

Baby crying for more (while checking out thething below with the big eye)

Okay, okay, gimmee a minute to chill out

Waaa, no break, no break...bugs, I want more bugs!

I finally got a reasonable shot of a woodpecker...and I plan to get a better one soon. The kid was a bonus...but next time I'm going to wear ear plugs.

PS - Now I know why mature woodpeckers beat their heads against atree, it's an attempt to get the sound of their kids out of their heads. Getting an insect to feed them is a bonus.

EDIT: actually, I've discoveredon another forum thatthis is probably not a "Red Naped" but a "Yellow Bellied." Oh well, I'm getting used tobeing wrong on my idents. I continue to leave all of that stuff up to you experts. Reason being, no "red" on the "nape." Now I know what a bird's nape is. Here's the photo thatseems to clarify:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 5:02 PM   #2

Hi, Norm. You can be 100% sure about your identification of the Yellow-Bellied (or Red-Naped) Sapsucker. As per your usual postings here, these pictures are just wonderful and I love the way you also strive in your picture series to document not just the markings of a bird, but their behavior also!

This isn't mama though, feeding the young ones - this is papa. Mama would be browner and usually doesn't have the red on the throat and never has the red on the forehead.

So, where's mama? Perhaps off feeding herself or maybe she's even in the nesting cavity attending to things...

As for the noisy kid(s) - I don't know if it is normal for them to be continually making sounds or not. It would be great if you could bring a recorder and record their sounds and post the sound clip up here, though.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:19 PM   #3

it's a constant high bleat, and it never ends. I'm on modem connection so I'm not even going to consider large files, Thanks for the info on this one.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:22 PM   #4

okay, thanks for the inpuy

Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:22 PM   #5

Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:22 PM   #6

Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:24 PM   #7

I have no idea why it repeated
Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:34 PM   #8

Say, Norm, I don't know who gave you the info about Red-Naped being different from the Yellow-Bellied, but they are wrong, at least according Roger Tory Peterson! His western field guide describes the Red-Naped, Yellow-Bellied, and Common Sapsucker to be 3 names for the same bird.

So... your ident was right!

(Edit: It's interesting that after an internet search, several government websites list the red-naped as a separate species from the Yellow-Bellied. Peterson's field guide is apparently wrong, or more likely, both me and the guides are out-dated. Partitioning of similar races of the same species often undergoes reclassification and apparently these two races of similar birds have undergone that type of process - I told you I was rusty...)

(Second edit: The Cornell website has this to say about the different sapsucker species:

Quote:
The similar Red-naped Sapsucker (S. nuchalis) is the only other woodpecker with a red forehead and black upper breast. Until recently, this bird was considered conspecific with the Yellow-bellied and the Red-breasted sapsuckers. The Red-naped Sapsucker has a variable red spot on the back of the head that the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker lacks, and the barring on the back of the Red-naped Sapsucker is organized into two vertical stripes

So, apparently, up until recently they were all considered one species).
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:18 PM   #9

geoff, have I told you lately that you are amazing?
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:54 PM   #10

Norm, I really am not amazing. Your pictures... now those are amazing! In all seriousness, my id abilities now are just a shadow of what they used to be - 25 years is a really long time to not be doing birding. The people that frequent birdforum.net are like what I used to be. One day I might get back to that level.

Did I ever tell you that my interest in birds has never left me but that the urge to actually start doing something about it again has been sorely lacking. I credit you, Hummer, Eric S, and Eric CAN with rekindling this love of mine that has been hidden away for so long. So, it is all of you that are to blame for my recent inquiry with the Prescott Bluebird Recovery Project, a non-profit organization (http://www.prescottbluebird.com). I will be helping out with banding activities and the monitoring ofbluebird nesting boxes in appropriate habitats in my area. There should be good opportunities for some very good photos!

That needed to be said. One very big THANK YOU to you and the others!