Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 3, 2004, 4:50 PM   #1

I was out today photographing a tug boat race, when I noticed this poor gull who got trapped under a large open sided tent.
Attached Images

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2004, 4:51 PM   #2

I watched him go round and round for several minutes.
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2004, 4:52 PM   #3

and round....
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2004, 4:54 PM   #4

His wing tips would smash into the tent sides. I stayed around long enough to see him come to the ground tired..and walk out an open side to freedom.

I like a good ending.
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2004, 12:31 AM   #5

Nice play-by-play of an event in your bird experience. I love the way you end the account...he decided to walk out rather than fly. Ha ha. I can just imagine him saying, good grief, this flying isn't working on this one.

I agree, I like a happy ending as well, thanks for sharing your experience!

PS - you can post more than one photo in one posting simply by clicking on the "insert image" icon each time.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:56 AM   #6

Chako wrote:
Quote:
His wing tips would smash into the tent sides. I stayed around long enough to see him come to the ground tired..and walk out an open side to freedom.
This is a really cute series of pictures. Thanks, chako!

About the gull getting tired... that's not at all uncommon among birds or bats! My wife has a pair of lovebirds (small parrots) and sometimes when she is cleaning their cage they escape, the little devils. They don't want to go back in their cage so what we do is not allow them to perch on anything - in other words, keeping them flying. After a few minutes they get so tired that they just drop to the ground where we pick them up and right back into the cage they go. I've done exactly the same thing with bats that got indoors by mistake, except I didn't put them in a cage - I released them back outside...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 3:05 AM   #7

Great series of picture Chako and I love the story that goes with them.

I can just see a gull flying around in panic shouting to himself "Let me out, I can't find a way out. Help me!". Five minutes later, "Oh, I'm so tired. I think I'll land down there and take a rest. Oh look! A door!". :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 5:45 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments.

Normcar, thanks a lot. I didn't know that.Iwill try that next time I have several I want to share.

This tent is very big. About 5 stories high, with two poles at each end holding the massive structure up. It is used mostly for special events, weddings, etc... The open sides are at least 2 stories high. This gull had found himself in one of the cones created by one of the poles. He just keptflying round and round at the apex, making a very quick circle about 30 feet in diameter.